rvaitor87

Well Known Member
I got a phone call from a friend in England, who saw on the BBC news that a RV-4 flipped on a runway. She said that there was video of it. The person on board was allright. Anybody heard anything???

Mike Bauer
Bartow, Fla.

RV-3 N87LB Flying
RV-4 N742MC building

crossed wires

Andy;

Thats probably it. Shes not too aircraft savy, glad to see no one was hurt bad.

Mike

Looks like a Cesna 170 coming in too fast to 3 point land, no elevator control on tail touchdown, but it looks like the brakes worked good. ;)

Something tells me this was a new TD pilot. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Late 50's early 60's 180... Too bad, it looked like he had it if he hadn't jammed on the brakes. I hate it that people have to ruin a perfectly good airplane because they don't get the proper training... it hurts my soul.

Early 50's 180

In fact it is a 1954.. One can tell because of the angle of the landing gear as it relates to the fuselage. By 1955, the folks in Wichita decided to cant the main gear a few degrees forward, in order to try to avoid precisely this kind of accident.
Cessna 180's and 185's are wonderful, predictable aircraft, but they will humble even an experienced pilot from time to time. Having been 'round them for more than 50 years, I can say that first hand.
Respectfully,
TN
1955 Cessna 180
Pitts Special
Baron 58
RV-8 project..for sale, price reduced

Catch 22

Having looked at the video I think it's not simply just a case of jamming the brakes on too hard.
It looks more like they have started to loose directional control (full rudder deflection and the fact they ended up partly off the runway) and may have tried to correct with more brake. Catch 22 ground loop off the side vs end up nosing over.
The touch down etc didn't look like a beginer. These things can sometimes catch even the more experienced guys out.

Peter