skywagon1

I'm New Here
I am the treasurer of Bahamas Habitat, www.bahamashabitat.org, and also a pilot and flight instructor. Our organization has just been donated a wrecked RV-4 aircraft. Basically the rebuilding donated aircraft would be easier to start from scratch. The empennage and canopy are good, along with a lot of the nose cowling, but the rest of the airplane is wrinkled. The engine and prop were extensively damaged.

Our plan is to provide an airplane to the director in the Bahamas for transport between the islands. Inter-island travel is very difficult and time consuming. Having an aircraft would greatly enhance the mission?s ability to deliver its program of relieving hurricane disaster. I would teach the director to fly and he can carry out the mission. The Vans aircraft has always been noted for their speed and reliability, along with economical operation.

To this end we are seeking assistance in finding the parts to rebuild the RV-4, and someone who might help with the reconstruction.

Any assistance that you can provide to:

1. Locate a parts airplane
2. Locate an abandoned project
3. As a long shot, locate a complete airplane
4. Provide assistance in rebuilding an airplane.

We are a 501 C 3 organization. All contributions to Bahamas Habitat are tax deductible. If anyone has any ideas on how to proceed we would be immensely grateful.

Sincerely,

Steve Merritt
Treasurer
Bahamas Habitat
103 Dumbarton Court
Cary, NC 27511-6305
919-280-5510

I am the treasurer of Bahamas Habitat, www.bahamashabitat.org, and also a pilot and flight instructor. Our organization has just been donated a wrecked RV-4 aircraft. Basically the rebuilding donated aircraft would be easier to start from scratch. The empennage and canopy are good, along with a lot of the nose cowling, but the rest of the airplane is wrinkled. The engine and prop were extensively damaged.

Our plan is to provide an airplane to the director in the Bahamas for transport between the islands. Inter-island travel is very difficult and time consuming. Having an aircraft would greatly enhance the mission’s ability to deliver its program of relieving hurricane disaster. I would teach the director to fly and he can carry out the mission. The Vans aircraft has always been noted for their speed and reliability, along with economical operation.

To this end we are seeking assistance in finding the parts to rebuild the RV-4, and someone who might help with the reconstruction.

Any assistance that you can provide to:

We are a 501 C 3 organization. All contributions to Bahamas Habitat are tax deductible. If anyone has any ideas on how to proceed we would be immensely grateful.

Sincerely,

Steve Merritt
Treasurer
Bahamas Habitat
103 Dumbarton Court
Cary, NC 27511-6305
919-280-5510

Steve,

Before you get too deep into the RV-4 repair, you probably need to check on the legality of using an experimental aircraft for commercial purposes. Generally this is prohibited, but I'm not sure how a 501 C3 fits into the FAA regulations. You might check with the FSDO (and an aviation attorney?) that has jurisdiction in your area to see if an RV-4 can be operated legally for your purpose. Your insurance carrier will need to be consulted as well.

Sam,

While true in the US, it may well be a different story in the Bahamas. However, this is something that should be investigated.

While it is possible to rebuild the -4, these planes were custom built and it is very possible that parts from one kit will not fit another, unlike the newer matched hole kits. Check with your local EAA chapter as there are a number of -4's flying in that area.

Last edited:
Sam,

While true in the US, it may well be a different story in the Bahamas. However, this is something that should be investigated.

From the organization's website:

"We are a US-based Christian nonprofit organization"

I don't have a clue whether or not this conforms to the legal use of an experimental aircraft.

While it is possible to rebuild the -4, these planes were custom built and it is very possible that parts from one kit will not fit another, unlike the newer matched hole kits.

Very true, most likely would be a formidable project. Sounds like a worthy cause, maybe something can be worked out.

Last edited:
I work with another very similar organization from time to time. They were just donated a Glasstar. Generally, using an experimental for this sort of thing isn't considered a "commercial purpose." I doubt if their intended use would be considered commercial, even if it were not a 501 c3, but I don't know about that. I believe (OK, I'm not a lawyer) they would be 100% legal. I sure hope so as I run a non-profit also and use our 9A for transportation.

Bob Kelly