Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Hi Guys

Last night after installing my upper cowl the dipstick tube is about 1" to long! The dipstick is easy. I can push out the roll pin, cut the rod to the correct lenght and re-drill for the roll pin as needed; But the tube is another matter.
If I cut the ends off I will lose the threads
If I cut the middle how do I join it together?
What did you guys do?

Mattituck might have one

My Mattituck 360 came with a tube that had an extension screwed on the end...At least thats what it looks like,. I bet you could buy one without the extension an the dipstick would only come up to below the top of the cylinders.

Mine is made of plastic.

day juh vooh :)

Didn't we just have this conversation a couple of weeks ago :). On my purchased RV4 the tube was cut in the middle and tied back together with hose/clamps. Ugly, and it dribbles a little (I think).

I think someone suggested that Mattituck might have dipstick tubes to fit an RV4. If you go that route, order one for me too :).

John
Wx is too nice to play with dipstick tubes right now.....

I cut mine, and then used epoxy with a TIGHT hose and clamps. Actually didn't think it looked too bad, but haven't fired it up yet, so I can't comment on the dribble.

Yes, Lycoming sells various sizes of tubes, and there was one that looked perfect for me. However, I thought I could use that substantially more than $100 for almost anything better than a pretty new tube :D

I've got 5 years of history on the tube I cut and glued back together using a coupling to splice the pieces.

Initially, I just used the appropriate plastic (PVC?) glue, which held for some time, but eventually cracked. My repair was to clean up the joint, re-glue it, and insert a couple of internally threaded short screws (~1/4" long) which pin the coupling and tube pieces together without penetrating into the interior of the dipstick tube. The pinned and glued tube has held up very well.

Dipstick tube

Thanks Guys

I will be removing my dipstick tube tonight so I can attempt to shorten it by 2?. My tube has an area at midpoint that is hex shape. What I will attempt to do is to bore that area to accept a shorter lower section. Then use Proseal to join the parts together.

I had this experiance as well, but I have a dip stict tube I have seen nowhere else. It is brass. Heavy I know, but it sure looks good all polished up. It was too long, but the brass threaded parts were just souldered on so, unsouldered, cut, souldered back togeather. Working fine. Has anyone else seen a brass dipstick tube on an O320?

Dipstick tube

Last night I removed my dipstick tube and after reviewing the construction of the tube (thin wall plastic) I will be calling Mattituck today. The idea of a modified tube failing at the most inopportune time (when I am flying) doesn?t seem worth the savings of the $100.00 bucks or so. Thanks for the input Guys