Wally

Getting ready to permanently mount the cowl cheeks to the fuselage. Mine have a very pronounced curl away from the fuselage. I have tapered the edges as much as possible, now almost a knife edge, and still some space.

How have some of you RV-4 builders handled this part of the building process?

I have considered different fillers but am concerned that it will crack through the paint sooner or later.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Happy Flying Safely,

Wally Hunt
Rockford, IL
RV-4 Finishing Kit

Mine were the same way

I had the same problem and therefore used tricks learned from fixing the white fiberglass wing root fairings. I put a layer or two of glass/epoxy on the inside edge that is against the aluminum. This thickens the edge. Then sanded to fit flush with tapered edges. Worked great on the wing root fairings.

Wally, if I remember correctly as well as rivets I stuck them on with Sikaflex. (Proseal would do if you are not using Sikaflex, but much harder to sand I suspect.)

While it sounds as though I did not have parts quite as misshapen (is that a word) as yours, there was a distinct curl away. The Sikaflex allowed me to sand aggressively and provided a very broad attachment area.

Good luck.

PS This blog entry confirms I used Sikaflex and shows how it looked before painting.