Any tips

Hi Steve, Do you have a site of your own with any pics or tips, Am just about to embark on the same task.
Thanks
Robbie

There is a -4 with a glued canopy now!

Robbie, just follow the link on my posting, or for a short cut to the Sikaflex bit go to the 22 April entry here, and work forward. (Click the pictures for larger images.) I havnt finished yet but it is well along. I will be back to it today when I wake up since it has turned warm again.

Its the way to go though not totally easy. As strong as anything and I cant see it resulting in cracks. Of course most riveted canopies dont crack, but some do. It should also be water tight.

Good luck

Sikaflex -4 canopy.

My Sikaflex -4 canopy is nearly complete. I have put everything I can think of which I wish I had known, about Sikaflex, before I started here.

There is some further information if you view the complete 'Finish Kit' section of the blog.

I hope it helps someone.

Canopy

Steve,
I visited your website and now really appreciate your effort to take a road less traveled to manufacture your canopy. It looks really great. I can't wait to see it when you are completely done. Nice job!! You are moving right along; maybe flying in six months?

Sincerely,

Brian Vickers

Kind words

Brian - thanks for the kind words.

I have an idea which might interest you. I was working on the latch today and thinking about how to stop the rear canopy skin scratching the fuse as we discussed before. Right now you cant get a sheet of paper in there, except at the bottom corners. I plan to put 1/4" wide stripe of Sikaflex all the way around, then shut the canopy and let it set. I think it might make a very nice seal and ensure no metal/metal contact. I just need to find some very squishy adhesive sponge to act as a dam to stop it flowing forward in an uncontrolled way. I can remove it once it is set. I'll let you know how I get on.

(I'll try to remember to make provision for it NOT to stick to the fuse. I have already glued myself out once! Long story, even longer to find a way in!)

Flying in 6 months? No way, 12 minimum and a bit more than that I think. Its 2 months since I started the canopy if I look at my blog, and I am not quite finished with it yet. Cowls baffles and air box alone must be 3 times as much work. My biggest problem will be getting it painted.

Cheers,

Sikaflex Canopy Seal

I have finally completed my work with Sikaflex on the canopy. I think the Sikaflex approach is superior to the rivets, though one can only really say that 10 years from now when it is still as good as today.

The final task was to use the Sikaflex to create a seal around the rear area and stop the metal of the canpy abraiding the fuselage. I now have a small triangular fillet of Sikaflex at the junction of the parts. I shaped the fillet by shutting the canopy and letting it set, so you can be sure the joint is tight. This would work for a rivited canopy also, though might be a little difficult if you had no previous Sikaflex experience.

The result from the outside is excellent. A very tight fit indeed. From the inside, the 'third' face of the fillett is undefined. I have tidied it up with a razor blade, but I will do better next time.

The Sikaflex is so black (light absorbing ) that it is hard to take a picture, but there are a couple here.