RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello All
I have to replace the canopy on my RV-4 due to a crack ( about 6'' long ) and I have to submit an estimate of the time required to install a new one with all the work completed to my insurance compagny.

I replaced it in 2001 and the mechanic doing the work took over 80 hrs to do the job not including preparing and painting the skirt around it.

I will be doing the job this time around and I'm planning on gluing it to the frame so I would like to know what has been your average time to do the complete job?
I will also appreciate any pro/cons comments regarding gluing it vs riveting it to the frame

Thank you for your feedbacks

Bruno Dionne
[email protected]

P.S: You may contact me offline or via PM if you prefer.

RV-4 Canopy

Bruno

I just finished installing a RV-4 canopy. This was my first time doing one and it took 95 hours for the canopy, frame and skirts. I spent an additional 14 hours on the front fillet. I planned to use the sikaflex but changed my mind and used rivets. I have three tubes of the Sikaflex, primer and cleaner I will make you a deal on. I also asked this same question 2 months ago so you might look at my earlier post ( http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=58195 ). I really like the Todds canopy.

RV-4 Canopy

Hello Tommy
Thanks for the reply.
So a total of 109hrs to install your canopy and been a Todd's canopy you had the skirt removed already..wow..The insurance compagny will have a heart attack once they get the time estimate.

I looked at the pictures of your installation and noticed the darkness of your canopy vs a standard Van's canopy and I'm curious to know how you liked it?
Is it really dark from the inside/out and how dark is it when you're flying at night?
It must be a lot cooler vs the standard though which is a good thing..

How much are you asking for the Silkaflex including shipping to Montréal and does it have a expiration limits?

I will bookmarked your wed site as a future reference ( pictures )

Cheers

Bruno
[email protected]

P.S: I have a canopy warning light with a buzzer that took me all of maybe an hour to install and cost me about $5.00, I could take pictures and send them to you next time I go to the hangar if you like..

Last edited: