WAM120RV

Well Known Member
Hi

Does anyone have any experience of how easily the canopy will open if in a right hand spin. I have been asked this question by someone interested in an RV 4. I know they come off quite easily in normal flight but what is the effect of air pressure and inertia from the right in a spin.

Has anyone fitted a quick release to a 4 canopy......... if so are the any photos available.

The quick release on an RV-4 is the handle, in an upright spin there is low pressure above the aircraft, I bet it will come right off no matter the direction but I bet no one hear has tried it. I think most of the ones that have come off where released when the pilot thought it was not latched and accidentally released it wile making sure it was latched, or they where blown off on the ramp, I have not heard (there may have been one though) of anyone actually releasing one intentionally.

Dizzy...

Steve,

First, nice job on the diesel engine RV9, enjoyed the article in Kitplanes!

Interesting first question before buying a 4. I would have asked how it spins, entry and exit manners, aft CG loading and how it affects it not to mention "total performance" in other arenas. The answer though is "it depends".
I regularly spun my RV4 and routinely spin my HR2 as well. Rule numero uno for me was no spins with pax, period. An RV4 spun into the ground in CO in 1989 with 2 aboard, observed by a witness as "flat" at impact. Back when Van posted accident statistics in the RV8R newsletter, he cautioned against aft CG acro in the RV4. Nuff said.
The spin entry is straightforward in an RV4 even with a light 0-320A and wood prop. I have entered them from level flight, 45 degrees and 90 degrees nose high. Full aft stick, full rudder at stall break with slight burst of power and the RV4 enters approximately 45 degrees nose low. Rotation increases exponentially with duration. Like most airplanes, aileron into the direction of spin increases rotation significantly. Recovery is just as straightforward with relaxed stick pressure to neutral, opposite rudder and exercise dive recovery caution as acceleration nose down happens quickly post-recovery. The aircraft will self recover in 1.5 to 2 revolutions.

Jettisoning the canopy was never a consideration as Russ pointed out however comma, every single RV4 pilot I know who has opened his canopy above 50 knots separated it from the aircraft. I know of no documented bail outs from an RV4 since it's inception in 1978. I personally have met individuals involved in ditchings, several forced landings and one split-S into the ground and surviving it! So if the individual somehow muffed the spin, somehow aft loaded the airplane with a 250 lb "friend" aboard and somehow decided to bail out, pulling the handle should be enough. Extricating himself and climbing over the side is quite another affair altogether. Therefore, spins should be entered no lower than 5000' AGL if you're unfamiliar. Spins should not be attempted unless properly trained.

My Dos Centavos :)

Smokey
HR2

Last edited:
Thanks

Hi Smokey

Thanks for this reponse.

In the Uk we have to get RV's individually cleared for aerobatics. I am just at the painting stage with my 4 and intend to get it cleared for aeros myself.

However, someone interested in buying a share in the aeroplane asked thsi question after speaking to someone with a lot of experience on Pitts, Skybolts and lots of other types. I have tried to put the guys mind to rest but he keeps asking the question.

Regards
Steve

bailing out

I occasionally wear a chute in my -4 and I have serious doubts that I could ever get out of it after a structural failure with a chute on.

cm

However, someone interested in buying a share in the aeroplane asked thsi question after speaking to someone with a lot of experience on Pitts, Skybolts and lots of other types. I have tried to put the guys mind to rest but he keeps asking the question.
I'd wonder why it matters. If you're in a spin, and have altitude to exit and pull your chute, then just recover from the spin. The spin in an RV is fast, but the proper control inputs will recover it.

If you've had a structural failure, it's unlikely you'll get out anyway... So fly within the limits, and keep in mind that the RV isn't the best plane for hard aeros.

Does anyone have any experience of how easily the canopy will open if in a right hand spin. I have been asked this question by someone interested in an RV 4. I know they come off quite easily in normal flight but what is the effect of air pressure and inertia from the right in a spin. (snip)

I doubt you'll get any real world answers on this. Very very few 4 pilots have *ever* experienced flight with the canopy gone. If it opens in flight, it will separate. Its designed to do that.

I did extensive spin testing of my 4 at forward CG. The plane has very CG sensitive spin characteristics. My 4 would auto rotate after stabilizing - about 4 turns. Controls released would aero-lock full aft and full pro-spin roll. There were a few times that full forward stick + opposite rudder did not produce a recovery. Spin characteristics are predictable but not docile.

It would be very difficult to bail out in a spin. As for opening the canopy in a spin - it would open I think and separate unless you have VERY low airspeed or if the canopy was attached hard to the airframe (not pop-riveted as per plans). Probably not your day if that happens...

Just my .02...