SMO

Well Known Member
Friend
I have recently completed the Emergency Maneuver Training program with Rich Stowell, which included Spins, Rolls, Loops, Hammerheads, and Immelmans (among other things). The 6 days of training was in a Decathlon, 180 hp CS prop.

I strapped on my parachute and took my -4 (160 hp, Hartzell CS) up yesterday to perform the maneuvers required to remove the "Aerobatics Prohibited" placard (flight permit received from Transport Canada). For any who are anticipating a transitioning from a Decathlon to a -4, here was my experience:

- Full aileron deflection results in two lateral "bumps" on the stick. I understand this is not unusual for RV's and so it did not surprise me. Some kind of aerodynamic oddity - maybe someone out there can explain why RVs do this.

- A one-turn spin in my -4 only needs 1/8 or so of a turn to recover (after the final control input of forward elevator). This compares to a half turn required in the Decathlon.
Note - if you plan to spin your airplane, be aware one RV-4 may not recover the same as another, or at all. Testing by professionals has shown that minor differences on the same airplane can have dramatic effects. Approach this area with great care.

- The hammerhead was interesting ā€“ I fell out of the vertical portion to the left a couple times before getting the discipline to put in enough right rudder to keep going straight up. Takes quite a bit more right rudder than the Decathlon.

- On the first couple of loops I pulled 4 gā€™s before taming the next ones down to Rich's recommended 3.5. I suspect the control force required on the -4 is a little less than the Decathlon.

- I am having one issue with the aileron roll ā€“ when I have completed the roll my g-meter is reading +3, which is too much. I am also gaining a little altitude. I monitored my initial pullup, max at +2, so I suspect I am inadvertently pulling during the final 90*.

- Absolutely no issues keeping the speed under control during any of the maneuvers. My CS prop undoubtedly assists greatly with this, but I still need to remain vigilant with respect to speed and ensure recovery all the way to level flight is done with authority.

- All of this needs much more practice, which I will enjoy doing.

Last edited:
The Aileron roll should be a low g maneuver all times. If your getting 3 g's somewhere your doing something wrong. In the RV I simply do a slow smooth pull up until my feet approach the horizon. Perhaps 1.5 g's at that point. The roll itself should be a 1 G maneuver with the nose back on the horizon at completion. Even a barrel roll normally takes no more then 2 G's but is a quite different maneuver then a aileron roll.

George

Last edited:
Getting that much G from the roll suggests that you're feeding in some up elevator with your roll input. You're probably coming out pointing more down than you expect, and pulling some extra G coming back to level. Concentrate on neutral elevator during the roll, and that should fix it.

The bump on full aileron deflection is the aileron stalling due to the high AOA at full deflection. You'll also find that you roll slower with full deflection than if you don't quite go all the way over. I find if I feel the bump I just ease off a bit and it stops.

Any issues removing the restriction? Did you do the "test" flight yourself, or did you have someone with more qualifications do it?

Removing Restriction

Any issues removing the restriction? Did you do the "test" flight yourself, or did you have someone with more qualifications do it?

I am quite comfortable in my -4, and have done a few aeros in the distant past with other aircraft. With the recent training I did not have any trepidition in doing the demo flight myself.

The process of removing the restriction has been painless so far. I talked to Transport first to understand the process. They emailed me the information. I applied for the Flight Permit (standard 1 page form) via email and provided my quals to do the flight. I received the Flight Permit the next day. I did the required inspection and "flight investigation" myself, then did the "Demonstration Flight" (no witnesses required). I installed the placard indicating the maneuvers approved and wrote up the required entries in the Journey Log. Today I will photocopy the entries and sent them in to Transport Canada. I should then receive new Operating Conditions that allow for aerobatic flight.

Aero Restriction Removal

I am doing the same process. Like you, it has been mostly painless with MDRA.

I got those bumps too during my aileron rolls.

I'll take more details on whatever procedures and airspeeds that you are using. I am keeping things pretty basic right now. My plane speeds up pretty quickly in the down lines and I need to be very cognizant of it.

Jim
dues paid

Aerobatic Restriction now removed!

Today I will photocopy the entries and sent them in to Transport Canada. I should then receive new Operating Conditions that allow for aerobatic flight.

I emailed a copy of the Journey Log showing the required entries on Tuesday morning. It is now Wednesday afternoon and I just received an email with copies of the new Operating Conditions and Special Certificate of Airworthiness (originals in the mail with a request to send back the old ones).

Kudos to Transport Canada in this matter. They certainly exceeded my expectations - I was expecting a bureaucratic nightmare, but this was totally painless.