Pitts25

Is installation of a light wt constant speed propeller approved on the RV-3B?

Thanks
Dennis
RV-8 QB Fast Back.

Absolutely. You as the builder are the one who approves it ;)

I think Paul and Louise have a Whirlwind CS prop on their RV-3B, and in one of his forum posts, Paul described the performance as (paraphrased) "it's like flying an engine thru the sky, the airframe is just attached so you can steer it" or something like that :D

WW-151....an AMAZING prop for the RV-3....and positively breathtaking when you look at the price! But yeah - it is worth it! :)

C/S Prop Comparison.

Paul

In past post you have shared that you and Louise fly your RV-3B, RV-6
and an RV-8. Please contrast your WW-151 with the other props in
your inventory. How about the acceleration, climb and deceleration
on the 151?

We are considering one for a RV-4 build. Love the RV-8 but want to be
as close the RV-3B as we can get and still fly with my little beloved.

Thank You.

David & Linda Mojonnier
Tucson, AZ

P.S. Love to know how Y'all feel about the -8 now that you fly the -3.

P.S. Love to know how Y'all feel about the -8 now that you fly the -3.

I "Y'all" includes me, the -8 feels like a tank compared to the -3B! As for the prop, the main thing I notice is the -3B doesn't slow down with the prop pushed forward nearly as much as the Hartzell-equipted RVs. I have to plan my pattern work more carefully.

I "Y'all" includes me, the -8 feels like a tank compared to the -3B! As for the prop, the main thing I notice is the -3B doesn't slow down with the prop pushed forward nearly as much as the Hartzell-equipped RVs. I have to plan my pattern work more carefully.

Well far be it for me to disagree with Louise... so I won't. But I think the word I have been using for the -8 is "Truck" since we've been flying the -3....;)

I still think that the -8 is the thoroughbred of the line - it carries a lot for two people, is fast, aerobatic, etc. There is just nothing that HANDLES like a -3! It will ruin you for just about anything else. Van told us that "the RV-8 feels like people THINK a P-51 handles - but in truth, a P-51 is pretty heavy, and makes the RV-8 feel nimble." I think that might be a fair description of the -3 relative to the -8....but I haven't flown a P-51, so I'm just guessing.

As for the prop, Louise had the best comment - the WW doesn't act like a speed brake as much as the Hartzells. We got used to it pretty quick though.

Paul

Last edited:
C/S Prop Comparison.

Thanks so much Y'all.

Tailwinds to ya.

Dave & Linda Mojonnier
AA-1B/160 in Tucson