WISC

Well Known Member
What is the general concensus on what it would cost to do all the required wing mods to a currently flying rv3?
I would have to pay someone to do it.
Thank you,

Things to consider

I'm not sure about cost, but consider this:

1) To do the mods, you'd have to have the wings off, which means you'll have to have them remounted afterwards.
2) There is information about the mods on Vans website, I'd download this information to have a better understanding and also to help get quotes.
3) If you are buying a flying 3, which you want to convert to a 3A (mods done), then it would be wise to have it completely looked over by someone who knows RV-3s (pre-buy inspection). This may add cost.
4) All that being said, there are some great-looking 3s out there, selling for cheap that just need some TLC. I know of at least one that's being restored after tornado damage (Tony Boy II), so where there's a will there's a way... to owning Van's "best performer.":)

Good luck!

I have read the articles before and was hoping someone who has done the modifications recently could chime in about price. It seems like an expensive undertaking especially since I would have to hire a A&P.

It wouldn't need to be an A&P. It could be done by anyone with RV building experience. Because it is experimental, anyone can make the logbook entry and sign it off. You would, of course, want to make sure the person doing the work is competent. :)

Wing mod

I'm not sure just anyone can do the wing mod and sign it off in the logbook.
Unless he/she was the original builder and had the repairman's certificate.
I would check this out before anyone starts the work.

I'm not sure just anyone can do the wing mod and sign it off in the logbook.
Unless he/she was the original builder and had the repairman's certificate.
I would check this out before anyone starts the work.

This type of question gets asked all the time, and the truth is as explained - anyone can do the work, and anyone can put it in the logbook. The ONLY thing that the repairman's certificate does is give you the authority to sign off the Condition Inspection.

If all the mods are required, and they are to be professionally done, then it may well be that buying new (QB) wings is better in structure, cost and resale:
...however, the wing kits are new, and are available in two types: new and retro-fit. Builders also will have a choice between standard and QuickBuild wings, regardless if for a new project or retrofitting to an existing plane.

The difference between new and retro-fit spars is that some holes are left un-drilled in the retro-fit version so they may be matched to holes in the existing structure. Retro-fitting will mean removing the current fuselage center section and replacing it with the new one. While this may sound like major surgery, it is actually easier than trying to drill a spar accurately to a center section in an existing airplane.

Van's Aircraft will offer substantial discounts to those who are purchasing the retrofit wing versions for an existing RV-3 project or flying aircraft.