jcadwell

I'm New Here
I'm in the market for a simple, 'low-end' RV to have fun by myself. I already have a family 180HP C172, and could possibly afford another 30K or less airplane that is actually fun to fly (loops, rolls, somehow novel, etc). That limits me to the RV-3, and maybe to a stripped RV-4.

RV-3 prices seem to be all over the map. I've seen a few upwards of 60K, and one on Barnstormers right now for 22K. I understand that there are probably huge differences in avionics, but 22K seems almost too low.

Where is the bottom of the market for a reliable but simple RV-3 or RV-4?

Things to look for in the 3's that affect the pricing. If you want to "loop, roll, etc...), you are "prohibited" unless the spar mod's have been done.
Most of the low priced 3's have not had those mods. They usually do not have wing tanks (fuselage tank only), 0290's, and probably built in the early 90's. Now, none of this makes them a bad airplane, in fact, some prefer the early lighter 3's, but they are not recommended for any aerobatics.
The higher priced 3's are usually newer builds and/or have the spar mod's done, are 0320 machines, and have wing tanks. The highest priced ones are usually the newer B models which have the new spar.
Avionics, electric flaps and trim, interior, fit and finish, all affect your price just like in any model.
There have been some really nice older machines with wing tanks, spar mods, 0320's, etc... that have been priced (have no idea if they sold) up there with the 3B's, and probably for good reason. (nice paint, newer engine, avionics, etc...) I would not shy away from a well built early 3 that was done right and had the mods, but they probably are not going to be the sub $30k machines.

The other thing to be aware of is of all the models, the 3,4, and 6 have the highest degree of builder variance compared to the newer matched hole products. I have seen older 3's that where works of art, and some, well, not so much.

Hope that helps.

Don't let a low asking price scare you away from looking at an airplane. Asking prices are all over the place and good deals can be found. There was recently a nice, newish RV-3B for sale in Florida that had low hours on airframe and engine, basic paint, simple panel with a Dynon EFIS that was listed for $29k. At that price it sold quickly, before I got a chance to look at it.:(

At $22k I bet the RV you're talking about won't last long.

The Wing is the Thing

An early RV-3 at the right price could be a great deal, but given its history, you'll want to study up on the "wing" thing assocated with early RV-3's (pre RV-3B).

For best value and resale considerations of an older RV-3, you'll want to be looking for an RV-3 with the Type II wing design which was introduced into kit production in 1984. The type II design uses 3/16 inch thick stock for the spar cap and 3/16 rivets. The original Type I wing design used 1/8 inch thick stock and 1/8 rivets.

Keep in mind I'm not talking about the registration date; that could be 2-10 years later than the kit production date, more or less!

The Type II wing, unmodified, has been limited by Vans to utility catagory g loads, +4.4g's because static load testing indicated the ultimate load limit to be less than +9g's. But if a Type II wing has been modified to incorporate the "CN- 2-II" spar modification kit that Van tested and put out in 1996 to stiffen the spar cap, Van rates it as having an +6G limit (+9g ultimate load factor) at 1050 gross weight, making it suitable for acro at that weight. This according to Van's correspondence of 8 October 1996 to RV-3 owners/builders.

I believe the modification kit is still available from Vans if you find a good Type II wing that has not yet been upgraded.

Weight, of course, is critical as well.... Both yours and the plane's. Some RV's are pretty heavy, as are some pilots. Bottom line, an RV-3 with Type II wing and CN-2-II modification, at a good price, should be a great investment if you and it are light enough with fuel to fly at 1050 gross weight.

Good luck in your search! Let us know what you find.