MedFlightDoc

I'm curious what opinions exist about an LSA RV-3?

I'm not trying to create one, but noticed an ad for an RV-3 on one of the major sales web sites with an "LSA compliant RV-3 per FAR 1.1" with an O-235 (108 hp) and a claimed 120 knot cruise speed...?

Is that possible?

As an aside, has anyone flown an RV-3 with an O-235? I've always heard lighter is better...?

Ryan

LSAT

Why not? I have a friend with Sonex with a Jabiru 120 hp. Engine. Placarded for max rpm after take off to hold the speed at 120 kts. Of course it'll do 150+ wide open.

Sport pilot qualifying airplane

It could possibly qualify - my question what speed does the RV3 stall?

under 1,320 pounds maximum gross weight

hold a pilot and carry one passenger

maximum speed is 138 mph (120 knots) full power level flight

have fixed landing gear and a fixed propeller

stall have a max stall of 45 knots

RV3 sport plane?

The RV3 Stalls right at 45 kts. But the problem is finding a small enough engine to make it cruise less than 120 Kts... Maybe an old Cub 65 hp. engine might work?

The RV3 Stalls right at 45 kts.

Welcome, Robin! You sound like a voice of experience. VAF is a great place to hangout, and always eager to see new members of the community. Whenever you're ready, tell us more about yourself.

--
Stephen

Engine

The RV3 Stalls right at 45 kts. But the problem is finding a small enough engine to make it cruise less than 120 Kts... Maybe an old Cub 65 hp. engine might work?

Doesn't have to be a "small" engine. It just has to be de-rated (placarded) at an rpm that won't produce more than 120kts.:) Look at the Carbon Cub, et al. It has an engine that will produce 180hp at full rpm but is placarded for full throttle for take-off limited to 5min. then it has to be reduced to an rpm that will maintain speeds at 120kts. or below.

To me this is getting away from the "spirit" of the regulation, but---who am I?

Last edited:
Offhand, given its weight and short wingspan, I'd bet that any engine/prop combination that puts the top speed within the LSA limitation will achieve only marginal climb capability.

Of course I suppose you could placard the rpm so that it's only allowed to reach full power during climbs.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=81377 post 17 shows that at 50% power (their nominal power is around 160 or 170 hp, with a constant speed prop) the speed at 2,000 feet is still higher than the LSA speed limit. It looks like you'd need something like 35% power to get there.

My bet: you'd end up with a very disappointing airplane.

There's another problem. A smaller engine might weigh less, giving you center of gravity issues.

Dave

It's a single place experimental. I don't think many people will have a reason to give you grief about it unless you get ramp checked after you do a blazing low pass. Just don't post XC speed records on the VAF. ;) What about an O-200 with a climb prop?

You can kill a lot of speed with a fixed pitch climb prop. Just ask my buddy Possum about the 3-blade wood prop on his 150 hp O-320-powered RV-6A. :-D

Last edited:
Previously certified aircraft

The following is copied from 14 CFR 1.1.

"Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, other than a helicopter or powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following:..."

The key wording is in blue if you are looking at a used aircraft.