brister

Well Known Member
I am 6'1" and weigh 215 will I fit in a RV3? I have flown RV A series with over 2000 hrs but have very little tail dragged time will a 3 be a good time builder aircraft?

Thanks can you answer how you think it would be for a newly checked out tail dragged pilot?

Not a problem. I was a newly minted TD endorsed pilot I climbed in and took off. I would suggest landing on grass for the first few landings. Wait for winds to be calm or down the runway, and build experience from there. ;)

The 3 was quick to respond to input. 3 point landings were really fun, and "easy". I really had a ball learning to fly it solo. There is something special about a single seat airplane. I miss that little bird. :cool:

Last edited:
RV-3s have no adjustments (unlike other models) and are set up for a person of a certain size. You would certainly not fit comfortably in ours. But, with a little work on the pedals and new seat cushions, it could be set up for a taller person. So, you would either have to luck into a -3 set up for someone about your size or be ready for working on the pedals and buying a new seat.

Personally, I wouldn't want to go from an -A model to the -3 without significant tailwheel (preferably RV) time. You can't get any transition training in a -3.

I am 5'10" & 250# I fit in my RV3 just fine. I had very little tail wheel time before I got the 3. I would suggest time with a very good instructor with RV tail wheel experience. I was very fortunate to find a Farmer/Instructor with thousands of hours of RV time. He got me through the tail wheel endorsement with his Decathlon & coached me when I flew the RV3. It was one of the best flying & learning experiences I have ever had. Good instruction is the key. If you can fly the Decathlon then the RV is no problem.

I'm 6-1 and 190#.

I don't think that your height will be an issue. And IMHO a RV-3 is just as honest a tailwheel aircraft as any other RV.

Your weight is probably something worth thinking about, but only is considering weight and balance. If the guy that built that -3 was 6-1 and 145# and built it for himself (who else, right?) you may find yourself a little farther back in the envelope. Conversely, if the builder was 6-1 and 250#...

I am 6'1" and weigh 215 will I fit in a RV3?

Every airplane is set up a little differently, but I'm 6'-4", 200 lbs, and fit OK in the RV-3 I had. There was little extra head or leg room, but I wasn't jammed in either. The design can accommodate tall pilots even without the Todd's "tall man" canopy, which I think spoils the lines of the airplane. The RV-3 definitely has more head and leg room than the front seat of an RV-4.

I have flown RV A series with over 2000 hrs but have very little tail dragged time will a 3 be a good time builder aircraft?

The RV is just another tailwheel airplane - and a very easy one at that. Nothing special about it. Just get a tailwheel endorsement in anything with a stick, and then get an RV checkout. You will be fine.