Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
Tony Spicer said a while back he replaced the manual lever with a Ray Allen servo because the lever was too sensitive. I would appreciate input regarding the performance of the original lever and cable from Van. I can modify the lever ratios to "desensitize" the cable action. A servo is my last option because I like to KISS when possible.

I got the honor of flying Jerry?s RV-3. The trim was easy to operate and allowed for fine tuning. It worked well.

Larry,

It was an RV-4, not a -3. And it was very touchy at cruise airspeed which was 155-160 knots. And probably the biggest reason for the change was to make it easy to trim while pulling 2-3 g's in formation. Standard manual trim in the -3 works just fine.

Tony

I would appreciate input regarding the performance of the original lever and cable from Van.

Mine is a -3B and it works great, no complaints. IMHO, it is not sensitive or prone to over controlling.

Hmm... 2-3g's while in formation? Since trimming for it, it must be sustained - that sounds like some fun formation work!! :D

I almost run out of nose down trim at high airspeed but I don't think that is the trim's fault (either rigging, construction, or loading - me thinks).

Vernier RV6 trim

RV Jerry et al. Thanks for the response. How is the RV6 vernier ? I am not familiar, can you describe

The RV-6 is a standard rv cable just like the one supplied in rv-3 and rv-4 kit except it has a venier control knob, easy mod.