Beancounter

Well Known Member
I just finished watching Ken K's youtube walkaround of the RV14. What stuck with me was when he said the 14's tail is externally identical to the 9's but internally it's built more like the 10, beefed up to handle the increased speed/loads. The 14 tail will bolt right onto a 9 and weighs 1lb more. I wonder how long until we see some 14 tails up for sale. It might make a nice safety upgrade. Not gonna mention aerobatics nope, not a word. Flamesuit on.

Since that video was made, Van's has made changes to the tail, that is my understanding as to the delivery delays. The bolt up pattern might not have changed so that statement same as the nine might remain, I don't know.

I just finished watching Ken K's youtube walkaround of the RV14. What stuck with me was when he said the 14's tail is externally identical to the 9's but internally it's built more like the 10, beefed up to handle the increased speed/loads. The 14 tail will bolt right onto a 9 and weighs 1lb more. I wonder how long until we see some 14 tails up for sale. It might make a nice safety upgrade. Not gonna mention aerobatics nope, not a word. Flamesuit on.

Surely you wouldn't believe that if you doubled the existing load capacity of one section/span of a five section/span bridge, that it could be considered capable of supporting a truck twice as heavy, across the full length?

On an RV-9(A), many other portions of the structure would have to also have be beefed up to give it the same aerobatic capability as the RV-14

I'm not following you Scott. Basically asking whether one can use an RV 14 tail on an RV 9 and appreciate some increase in strength at any point (not all) on the plane. If so, why not make the substitution if it's only a pound heavier?

I'm not following you Scott. Basically asking whether one can use an RV 14 tail on an RV 9 and appreciate some increase in strength at any point (not all) on the plane. If so, why not make the substitution if it's only a pound heavier?

I think the point is that it doesn't buy you anything - it adds a pound of weight with a large moment arm but doesn't add to the strength of the airframe.

Other advantage?

Strength issues aside, it has been stated that the only parts requiring final drilling on the 14 are those that share parts with the 10. Thus, if the 14 horizontals are dimensionally compatible with the 9, couldn't a 9 builder request 14 horizontal components to reduce a little work in building? The extra aft pound wouldn't be so detrimental to those with heavier FWF setups.

I started with the 9 empennage and have changed to the 14. Although they share similar dimensional plan forms, the engineering of the attach brackets to the rear cone is completely different. Fitting a 14 horizontal stab to a 9 cone would require significant modification and engineering to do this properly (IMHO). To my knowledge there have been no structural failures of a 9 series emp so there would be very little to zero ROI for the effort it would require to re-engineer an already proven and fantastic design.

If you want to strengthen the -9's HS, simply add nose ribs where they are missing.

The -9's VS, rudder, and fuselage is the same as the -7 (other than the spar section).