Frac0220

I'm New Here
Hello all!

Had some great suggestions on my last thread for the condition inspection and we are going to have our local shop do it starting next week. First time for an RV-12 for them, but they have other LSA experience so we will see how that goes!

My question for today has been a bit of a strange one and not sure where to go and figured I would ask the wealth of knowledge here.

Every few flights, whether a few days or a few hours between flights, I will go to start, and when turning the key, the starter will not engage and I will hear the fuel pump cut out momentarily when turning the key. At first, I thought this was a technique issue of Lanes on first, then fuel pump 1, then start. But I have tried fuel pump 1 first, verified pressure, then lanes, and still have the same issue. Once I turn everything off down to cold and dark maybe twice, the starter will then engage and everything else goes normal and the engine starts.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into this issue as this is my first Rotax. Is there something that we should bring up to our shop to look at next week?

I appreciate everyones help!

This sounds like a bad electrical connection in either a positive or
negative heavy cable, or maybe a defective battery contactor.

Regardless of anything going on with the engine/ECU (on, off, faulted.. it doesn't matter), the -12iS should crank when you turn the key (and the master is on).

There are a few things I can think of.. master relay, starter relay, the ground wire from the airframe to the engine, ground wire from battery to airframe, and by the copilot's feet, the ground wire from the firewall/airframe to the black terminal on the pc board behind all the fuses.

Check the engine compartment's ground wires first since they'll be the easiest to check. Then, if you can get the problem to happen again, check the voltage from battery, to and through the master relay.. to the starter relay.

With some alligator clips, check to see if voltage is going to the coil lead (small one) on the starter relay when the key is turned.. and lastly, check to see if any voltage is going to the starter when the key is turned.

Generally, its either a problem with power getting to the starter.. or power going from the ignition key to the starter relay.

Regardless of anything going on with the engine/ECU (on, off, faulted.. it doesn't matter), the -12iS should crank when you turn the key (and the master is on).

There are a few things I can think of.. master relay, starter relay, the ground wire from the airframe to the engine, ground wire from battery to airframe, and by the copilot's feet, the ground wire from the firewall/airframe to the black terminal on the pc board behind all the fuses.

Check the engine compartment's ground wires first since they'll be the easiest to check. Then, if you can get the problem to happen again, check the voltage from battery, to and through the master relay.. to the starter relay.

With some alligator clips, check to see if voltage is going to the coil lead (small one) on the starter relay when the key is turned.. and lastly, check to see if any voltage is going to the starter when the key is turned.

Generally, its either a problem with power getting to the starter.. or power going from the ignition key to the starter relay.

Thank you so much for the guidance! We took the top cowl off yesterday and checked all the grounds and some haven't even been touched since the factory so we assumed they were good. This has me thinking starter relay or somewhere in the power getting to the starter like you mentioned. We are going to have our mechanics check next week when it goes down for the condition inspection. Thanks again!

RV-12iS issus

Wow, There is or was an issues with the Fuel Pumps and HIC Module Replacement Service Bulletins that may be acting against your system?

Getting the annual completed with the Service Bulletins and Service letters will help you determine what is truly going on with your Aircraft?

The elevator hinge upgrade is a killer! Grin.

the condition inspection and we are going to have our local shop do it starting next week.

Since you are having an A&P do the CI, and you are a CFI:

Do you have any plans or ambitions to do instructing in your very nice S-LSA that also happens to be very close to where I live?

Last summer I had one-year-old Odyssey PC680 battery quit suddenly. Odyssey said manufacturing defect and offered replacement…