I am a first time builder and my empennage kit is on it's way. I am wondering what size worktable to build. I have seen everything from 4 x 12ft single tables to 3 3x4 tables that join together in some of the other forum messages. I would appreciate any thoughts from someone building an RV12, or does that not really have any bearing on the table? I have plenty of room (building in my empty hangar) so space is not an issue. Also wondering what an optimum height might be.

FYI, I have looked at the EAA table drawings and certainly can go that way if that's the general thinking.

Dave Jablon
RV12 soon to start
Former BE-S35

Hi Dave,

I found the 10 foot white plastic tables that are sold at Sam's or Costco to be the best general solution. You will also need at least two good and stable saw horses, I built mine 36 inches tall and used a 2 x 6 for the tops. We have two large table tops and used one white plastic table and one table top on the saw horses to build the wings side by side so that as we did a task on one we could do the same thing on the other and we each could work on a wing when it was time to rivet on skin.

I also have a 2 x 12 foot work bench against a wall that I do small projects on and it has the vice and power outlets for other small tools.

Best regards,
Vern

I built two of the EAA wooden tables, 2X5 footers, and used four long folding tables for the wings. The plastic ones at Costco should work.

Jeff

Dave,

See the very beginning of my build log. The workbench that I built worked very well. The engine arrived today........Hoooray!!

Size and stability

I use one large table on castors built low like 29 inches high. This worked well for the empennage except you need to make some tall sawhorses to begin the tailcone. After the initial start, the tailcone can go on the table. The tailcone is over 8' long...and the stabilator is 8' long. The wings are long also, so size is a consideration. While building the fuselage, I have been rolling it up on its side to gain easy access for fuel line plumbing an other tasks that would be quite a trick with it on its bottom. The fuselage is getting fairly heavy now but I can still easily roll it up on its side to do the finish kit wiring, but this would be a real pain and a little dangerous if it were on sawhorses or flimsy tables.
If you check my picture galleries you can see how all the processes look on my 8' X 42" table.

Tony

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am also looking forward to checking out all of your build sites to discover a few tricks. It's really nice to know that there is help out there for those of us who have never worked on a project like this. Just getting started seems daunting but i am sure once I start things will begin to come together. I am a slow learner...took a friend of mine 6 years to convince me to get out of the certified world <G> and join the family! So far I feel real good about doing it! Kit should be here Tues or Wed and then the fun begins.

Dave Jablon
RV12
Former BE-S35

Dave,

I visited a guy's shop and he had built an 8' and a 4' long workbench. That way he had a small table to work on smaller parts, a longer table when needed and when he put both together, a 12 footer for wings and fuselage work. Seemed like a great idea to me.

Enjoy the journey,

George

Work Table

display_log.php
Use the bottom of your shipping crate from the tailcone and empennage kit. I spent $15 on 2 2x4x10' and 4 2x4x8' to build 2' legs(6) and cross pieces. I screwed the crate top back on the frame. Added 2 movers dollies, one at each end for easy repositioning. I will try to add pictures. This is my first post.

Last edited:
display_log.php
Use the bottom of your shipping crate from the tailcone and empennage kit. I spent $15 on 2 2x4x10' and 4 2x4x8' to build 2' legs(6) and cross pieces. I screwed the crate top back on the frame. Added 2 movers dollies, one at each end for easy repositioning. I will try to add pictures. This is my first post.

Welcome to VAF!

I second the idea on using the shipping crates. Just turn them upside down on sawhorses and screw them down, put scrap carpet or blankets on top to protect the Al finish . We have one, the "burr bench" up now, but had three up for awhile. Drill on them, hammer on them, paint on them then when they get in the way, haul them to the dump. We spent $0 on workbenches.

Copied

Big John's design and love it. You have three 32"X 48" tables that you can bolt or clamp together in any combination that you want - all out of one 4' X 8' which is awesome. you may also split them up for even more utility.

I paid attention to the early RV-12 builders who said that it would have been nice to have been able to have have two sets of work benches - one that is lower (22" or so) and one that is the more or less 'standard' of 33" or so. I made mine adjustable from about 36" to about 20" or so. A lot more work and I am not sure that it is worth the effort.

Good luck with yours.