joedallas

Well Known Member
The RV 12 in my opinion is the best low wing light sport aircraft kit on the market.

The removable wings are ok if you are going to keep the aircraft at home and take it to the airport, ( go flying ) and then bring it back home.

There are four or more different wing tank designs that builders are using.

I am sure that vans could come up with the best designed RV12 wings tanks.

I am building my wings last as I was hoping that Vans would come out with wing tanks for the people who don't want to give up the area in the baggage compartment.

From the builders I have talked with this is the one thing that they wish vans would have given a option for wing tanks ( maybe EAB only )

For the builders that I have promised a link to the building of my tanks ( is still in progress ).

http://joesrv12.com/Builder Log/bl_15_08.htm

This in no way is suggesting this is the way to build your wing tanks, this design is not tested and the design is still in progress.

15_08_09.jpg

15_08_14.jpg

Thanks

Joe Dallas

Last edited:
In the FWIW dept, when Vans called me to follow up with my thoughts after buying an SLSA one of the points I mentioned to them was that I'd rather have wing tanks instead of removable wings.
I suggested to them an RV-12A SLSA model where you could opt for two 12 gal wing tanks for example, have fixed wings and more volume in the cabin cargo area (even)if not able to increase the 50 lb weight). The extra 4 gallons would increase range although there's an obvious weight penalty.

They seemed receptive although i understand the whole redesign/peprwork trail (meaning cost) that that entails.

For the kit builders though, it's an intriguing possibility.

Looking good Joe! I am waiting for delivery of the Viking wing tanks, but wish they had more than 20 gallon capacity. Have you calculated the capacity of yours yet?

Doesn't appear to be any provision for removing a tank if there should be a problem. That might be a good feature to have.

Also, consider adding weep holes in the lower corners of the wing cells in the area, just so that if there are any leaks, they'll drain out.

Dave

Hi Joe,

Looks like a good installation and nice workmanship, but I have a question.

Did you consider installing baffles in the tank? Both fore and aft, as well as laterally?
If the tank is half full, it looks to me that fuel could slosh fore and aft substantially, not to mention laterally during less than perfectly coordinated banked maneuvers.

The initial test flight would be a very bad time to discover they needed them.

Just a thought.

21 gallons +

Don

Each tank holds 10.5 Gallons and I may add a 3 gal Header tank if I use a fuel injected engine.

Joe Dallas

Looking good Joe! I am waiting for delivery of the Viking wing tanks, but wish they had more than 20 gallon capacity. Have you calculated the capacity of yours yet?

The baffles are baffling me

Yes I have about four different plans to try to solve that problem I am leaning towards baffles with doors.

design is still in progress.

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Joe Dallas

Hi Joe,

Looks like a good installation and nice workmanship, but I have a question.

Did you consider installing baffles in the tank? Both fore and aft, as well as laterally?
If the tank is half full, it looks to me that fuel could slosh fore and aft substantially, not to mention laterally during less than perfectly coordinated banked maneuvers.

The initial test flight would be a very bad time to discover they needed them.

Just a thought.

work is still in progress

The tank can be removed by removing the top inboard wing skin.

Not that hard but would not be good for the paint job

There will also be a tank drain at the low corner of the tank and a hole in the bottom skin at that location with the bottom of the inboard rib sealed.

Doesn't appear to be any provision for removing a tank if there should be a problem. That might be a good feature to have.

Also, consider adding weep holes in the lower corners of the wing cells in the area, just so that if there are any leaks, they'll drain out.

Dave

Yes I have about four different plans to try to solve that problem I am leaning towards baffles with doors.

design is still in progress.

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Joe Dallas

Joe,

I have admired your ingenuity. It will be interesting to see what kind of unusable fuel quantity figures your final design generates.

Regards,
Tom

Joe,

I really admire your ingenuity on those wing tanks.
It definitely makes the RV-12 package more attractive, especially if it increases the usable fuel quantity. I think 25 gallons would be close to perfect for that airplane. Not to mention, the increased cargo space.

I never have been crazy about 20 gallons of fuel sitting right behind the right seat and the aft window getting damaged by an inadvertent overfill of the tank.

Good job!

My next airplane could be an RV-12 with wing tanks.:)