jrsites

Well Known Member
Need some input from those of you who have flown both the -6/7 and the -12.

To this point I'd been planning on building a -7. Truthfully, the -12 will satisfy most of my "mission" requirements. Most of my flying is of the local "sport" variety, with a few 200 to 300 mile cross country flights here and there. All VFR.

But the main reason I love RVs is because of the handling qualities. I can deal with the slower speed of the -12, but I couldn't deal with a loss of "fun quotient". I've flown a -6A before; I know how they handle, and that's what I'm looking for. I like the quick roll rates and point-where-you-want-to-go responsiveness.

So how about it? Is the -12 as fun to fly as a -6/-7, even if it climbs and cruises a bit slower?

Thanks for any help.

Jeff,

I've got all of about 30 minutes demoing the factory -12, and I like it a lot - but it is not a high-powered RV. It is light on the controls and very enjoyable for what it is. But it's not aerobatic, so when you get to a certain point in "joyful maneuvering", you have to settle back down. If you really want to go anywhere that you point, then you're going to have to go with something more powerful and aerobatic.

But the -12 is wonderful for what it is - way better than most any spam can you're likely to fly!

Paul

Thanks Paul.

While I do enjoy the occasional roll, aerobatics are not a necessity. I probably wouldn't miss that capability.

I'll put it this way: The thing I remember most about flying my Dad's -6A is that the thing BEGGED to be flown in an overhead pattern. There was something magical about hitting that break and circling down to land. Again, the precise maneuverability of the -6A is what made it so easy - and fun - to do.

The reduced build time (and cost) of the -12 are appealing since it fits most of my mission profile. But I would hate to give up that unique sensation of flying a fun overhead approach.

A more quick build? Yes.

But I question if a 12 is much of a reduced cost. A 7 with a mid-time engine and fixed pitch prop would be much less than the 12.

I've owned a -6 and I now have a -12. Paul's assessment is right on. The -12 flies more like the -9. Docile, light on the controls, simple, a real joy to fly.