DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I want to build a trailer for my 12, starting with the Harbor Freight folding job. I see some very early comments in the archives, has anyone done one lately? I am looking for one that can carry the plane AND the wings at the same time if possible.

I want to build a trailer for my 12, starting with the Harbor Freight folding job. I see some very early comments in the archives, has anyone done one lately? I am looking for one that can carry the plane AND the wings at the same time if possible.

Hi Don,

I think the first step is to define the mission, is it a short slow trip from home to the airport and back or do you want to haul it behind your motorhome for over 1,000 miles at 80 MPH?

If it is only local hauling then yes you could make a fine trailer by starting with the Harbor Freight better trailer and it would work just fine at say under 40 MPH or so. If you need the speed and duration of a real trip trailer then you may want it to be a more sturdy trailer with four wheels and brakes, either surge or full electric. I have seen several fine trailers made out of medium duty four wheel boat trailers as they are long enough and are ridged enough to hold up to longer trips. You also want springs and shock absorbers on a long distance trailer.

It is best to haul the aircraft nose forward with a real control lock on the ruder and stabilizer. On most trailers you will want the wings with the root forward and they will need the wing roots covered to prevent wind (and other debris) from entering the wing as you travel. Some like a canopy cover but the hard part is to get one that fits so well that it will not flap in the wind and scratch up the Plexiglas, I do not use one but I have seen hard covers used in California that might work out.

You will need to have the wings up high enough to clear the main wheels and it would be good if the wing spar fit into a frame that also pushed over the flaparon tab to lock them in place. The leading edge will need to sit in a saddle at one of the ribs about where the tie down rings are located and the tie down rings can be used to hold them firmly in place.

Some people here have under estimated the value of the ability to quickly remove the wings and easily trailer the RV-12 home from any airport if it is not running right just put it on the trailer and get it back to home base and fix it when you can instead of having to work with an FBO that can not spell Rotax.

Let us know how you proceed.

Best regards,
Vern

I don't expect to haul for long distances, but I had one of those trailers for a number of years, overloaded most of the time, many thousands of miles of high speed use. Of course the large tire option is a must.
You brought up some things I had not even considered yet, some good food for thought.