Geico266

Well Known Member
There is nothing in the instructions / plans that tells us how to hook up the tach lead from the engine. There is a wire coming from the ignition / charging area on the back of the engine that has black shielding and a plug. Is this the tach wire?

There are two wires coming from the fire wall forward harness that has pins that fit, but which pin / wires goes into which hole?

Last edited:
Trigger Coil (Tach)

I sent a note to support about this problem. The two flat spade male wires from the Firewall Forward harness are the only candidates that fit that connector, as you noted. The coil produces A/C pulses so I don't think it matters which lead goes to which pin.

-Neil

Color Coding

I thought so too but the actual diagram and schematics for the rotax engine (see your PDF disk supplied with engine) just show a coil. On the back of the engine is the rotating magnet. Since there's no diode or other rectifier indicated it would be A/C output.

Another clue is the Dynon 180 install manual page 3-4. Look under TRIGGER COIL (ROTAX). Not a slam-dunk but the evidence is there. Obviously we need official corrections from Vans. :)

In a little plastic bag

We found ours in a little plastic bag along with a few other unidentified items. Like Stein said "Never throw anything away"...

-Neil

Talked to Joe Blank @ Vans about this and his reply was, use the supplied connector, continuity is not a factor and they will be sending out additional info on this. Larry