RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Anyone to report yet on new RV12 developments and pictures please? If you can get nice pictures of the AP installation and anything new we have not seen yet, and any additional talk with Vans

Thanks in advance,
Hungry for new RV12 information,
Rudi

Not much yet from SNF?!?

Is it just me or are other RV-12 builders surprised by the lack of 12 news out of SNF to date. I figured there would be something by now- perhaps the current builders who are attending this year and who visit VAF have not been there yet. I was hoping to see some information regarding options and perhaps additional news about the avionics and firewall forward timelines. I wish I could have made it myself but work took priority this year!

N412RV is at Plant City

I just got back from my home airport (KPCM) and can assure you that the little red one is NOT at S'n'F, at least not right now. I snapped a photo with my phone, but they have a canopy cover on it, so there isn't really much to see.

Mike Seager's RV-7 was also there.

thanks for the update

Thanks for the update Ryan. Vans had indicated it would be shuttled back and forth to Plant City for demo rides. Perhaps they are planning on keeping it at Lakeland full time as the end of the week closes in.

Sun 'n Fun

I'll be at Sun 'n Fun at 10:30AM Thursday morning ... and you know I love to take pictures and videos! :) I'll also be at Van's BBQ Friday evening with my wife ... and should be taking pitures there too. I certainly hope the red RV-12 (N412RV) will be there ... hope to get every inch videoed in attempt to facilitate build. :)Would love to get a close up video of wing removal and reattachment ... the one video Van has on their website is getting pretty old! :(

Might need to eat 2 Polish sausage sandwiches to keep my energy up.;)

RV12 at SnF

On Tuesday the red RV-12 was on display at the Van's booth. Wednesday it was gone...maybe to do rides...?

Mitch
RV-4 flying

Wow....

Still no reports. Jerry, was it there when you were there today? Busy compiling all of those photos and videos? :) After a quick 5:00pm visit with Rob "Smokey" Ray at the airpark where he lives, I stopped by S'n'F for a little preview before I do a full day on Sat. N412RV was there, but the Van's tent (and all the others) were closed up. Canopy covers foiled my attempts at pictures for you guys again!

Popouri of Sun 'n Fun Pics

Here are some Sun 'n Fun pictures ... the last of the bunch are RV-12 closeups.

Click here for Sun 'n Fun 2009 Pictures

Four Videos at Sun 'n Fun

Click here: RV-12 Walkaround with Canopy Cover 2 minutes 43 seconds

Click here: Dick VanGrunsven & RV-12 45 seconds

Click here: Dick VanGrunsven & RV-12 Canopy 18 seconds

Click here: Rotax 912 ULS 360 Degree 30 seconds

I'll be returning to Sun 'n Fun tomorrow with my wife ... will try for better videos of RV-12 and Van's BBQ Dinner. :)

Missing RV-12 on Friday.

The RV-12 was not at Sun 'n Fun on Friday :( ... should be returning on Saturday, but I will not. I did get a video of Van discussing the RV-12 at his BBQ dinner.

I was also able to get a few pictures on of the Fuse Box/Switch panel component which will be part of kit #6 ... the Avionics Kit. That's all I could get out of today's visit.

Click here for Van at the BBQ dinner...

Click here for picture of avionics kit component ...

Man, looks like they are going for a PLUG AND PLAY panel with a few plugin cables and poof your panel is wired. Wow.

These 12's look like so much fun, I may have to build me one in a few years!

I was also able to get a few pictures on of the Fuse Box/Switch panel component which will be part of kit #6 ... the Avionics Kit. That's all I could get out of today's visit.

Jerry...thanks for the panel pictures. They show me how much cabling has to remain above the panel. I feel much more confident in bundling the wiring below the panel and re-installing the rudder pedals.

Jerry,

Thanks for posting the photos and videos. I'm not building yet, but it's great to have all that info.

When I took off from SnF on Friday I caught the -12 in the air! It was giving demos from Plant City and they must been giving the passenger a stall demo. Very pretty plane in the air.

The seats don't slide rear or forward but rely on adding or removing pads, I found that odd but the seats were very nicely built It worked though, and at my leg length I reached the pedals with ease.

The seats have 2 positions and can be adjusted forward & backward by removing 2 pins is just a matter of seconds.

Welcome to VAF.

Seat adjustment

The seats have a total of four positions:

1. The seat bottom pins forward and seat back adjuster forward
2. The seat bottom pins forward and the seat back adjuster flipped up
3. The seat bottom pins aft and the seat back adjuster forward
4. The seat bottom pins aft and the seat back adjuster flipped up

Some plan to add an additional set of hinges at the bottom to provide two more settings for those with shorter legs.

Best regards,
Vern

I just got back from Sun n' Fun today and, for what they are worth, here are some comments on the RV-12. I got to fly it over at the Plant City airport yesterday. After about 30 minutes in the airplane, I was VERY favorably impressed. The controls are light and responsive about all three axis, and the slow flight regime, with the flaperons drooped was especially impressive. The stalls, both power on and power off, were essentially a non event- in fact, you really have to force the airplane to stall, it just wants to keep flying. The visibility from the cockpit is superb! You sit right near the wing leading edge, so foreward and downward visibility is virtually unimpared. Getting in and out of the airplane was much easier than I had anticipated, and once inside, it was plenty roomy ( even for my size 13 feet). Mike, the demo pilot, was giving non stop rides, so I didn't get to spend too much time crawling around and looking at things. If we get an option on it, be sure and specify the bright screen version of the Dynon 180. By the way, the trim indictor is incorporated in the 180 screen. The switch/circuit breaker panel that Jerry took pictures of, is a gem- true plug and play. I think you guys are going to like this little airplane- I know I can't wait to finish mine! Steve

I forgot to mention in the previous post, that VANS did not have any pricing structure to offer yet for either the avionics kit or the firewall foreward kit. Apparently VANS has gotten the first fifty Rotax 912's already directly from the distributor ( Zodiac). The folks at Sensenich props said the were shipping50 props to VANS next week. They will be very much like their ground adjustable prop, with carbon blades and aluminum hub. Steve

Did anyone get to see the nav light/strobe unit that will be used on the 12? It's made by AeroLED's. It is the Pulsar Exp model and sells for $850.00 It's aluminum and polycarbonate about 4" long, 1-1/2" wide and 1" high, with a triangular shape when viewed from the front. Real classy looking. What is not classy is how, I was told, it will be mounted. An aluminum fitting would be affixed at the two holes outboard of the hand grip. The hole inside the hand grip would be used to feed the wire in to the wing. It almost sounds like it would be for temporary use only. The surface of the wing tip is only 1/2" wide, so the light would be hanging over on both sides. Hopefully this info is incorrect and that there will be a mount affixed be low the wing tip.
Also did anyone notice the puckering and peeling of the striping below the fuel filler on the prototype? It appears that the alcohol in the spilled auto fuel is attacking the stickon stripping. Something to keep in mind when painting your 12.