bhassel

Well Known Member
I was reviewing the RV-12 flight preformance video on Van's web site and noticed the stalls always seemed to drop the right wing. Is this common on the 12's or was it unique to that aircraft?

Also, how do they preform at altitude? I'm at 6300 ft+ at the airport and see higher density altitudes in the summer so I'm curious.

Thanks,

Bob

Yep

Mine drops the right wing in every stall.

On a recent trip back from Hood River Oregon I climbed to 10,500 to clear the mountains. Solo, 46 deg OAT and I was still climbing at about 400 FPM through 10k.

Usually

If the stars and your rudder pressure are aligned perfectly the nose will simply drop. Most of the time the right wing drops sharply. The worst feature is that there's little or no buffeting before the break. My AA-1 Yankee would beat you about the head and shoulders before breaking-- the -12 just says "That's it, I quit!" But it's at a VERY low airspeed.

Wayne 143WM

I am based at a 6800 foot field and operate another Rotax 912 powered LSA very similar to the RV-12 while I am building my -12. We get DA over 9000 and I have no problems with the plane operating from there. I realize it isn't exactly the same plane, but the AT-4 is very similar in flight parameters and I have exactly the same engine. I wouldn't worry about performance at altitude.

Carl

When I stalled Dick's own RV12, it just mushed along and did not drop a wing, very boring indeed!

Perhaps a bit of rudder was involved?

When I stalled Dick's own RV12, it just mushed along and did not drop a wing, very boring indeed!

That's interesting. I just didn't think that dropping a wing seemed like a normal trait for a Van's aircraft and considering the mission of the RV-12 I wouldn't think it would be something that would show its head.

Apparently there is a solutions somewhere...

Bob

With the ball centered, no wing drop whatsoever. Power on/off makes no difference. As said, it just mushes along like a falling leaf.

If I don't pay strict attention to the ball prior to a power off stall in New Blue, I will get a very slight left wing drop. Even then, the stall is very benign. The slightest of right rudder pressure brings it wings level.

That makes sense. I was jsut curious after watching video's during stall of different models (like the 9).

Thanks,

Bob

I'm one of those that thinks you benefit from staying "current" on stalls. I prefer that muscle memory reacts quickly to that familiar sensation. Just like getting comfortable feeling your butt slide when the ball moves off center. All the stall warning devices pale in comparison to actual sensation.

Quote from Waiting For Guffman (UFO Abductee):

'They took me off into a separate room; I seen 'em takin' different people off; different ones of us off in separate rooms and put me on a big white table and uh the guy that took me in there - to examine me I guess - he probed me and then I was in there I bet more than three or four hours, in that room, being probed and at one time or another these different ones of 'em came in, four or five or six of 'em at different times, and all of 'em probed me, uh, not all at once, you know, individually. Later on, years later, now, even still, uh, it's a funny thing - it happened on a Sunday and every Sunday about the time I was taken on board that ship I - find I have no feelings in my buttocks.'

I have a similar problem everytime I get into a plane...my butt never feels the slide...

Bob

That's interesting. I just didn't think that dropping a wing seemed like a normal trait for a Van's aircraft and considering the mission of the RV-12 I wouldn't think it would be something that would show its head.

Apparently there is a solutions somewhere...

Bob

Bob,

Maybe you misread my post

The comment about the RV12 dropping a wing was suggesting that the pilot induced the wing drop with some rudder and did not realise it.

I don't know if this is applicable but my 1st RV6 had a tendency to break very abruptly with no buffet because of the CG loading. When we put some weight up near the firewall, the stalls became more benign and there was a slight buffet that increased as we added more weight. I suspect that any aircraft that has a tendency toward a more aft CG will be more aggressive in a stall. Our present RV6 has an 0360, nosegear and a metal prop. With that configuation, the stalls are always preceded with a slight buffet and then breaks with usually a left wing down tendency. As soon as the nose gets pointed down, the plane wants to fly itself to a recovery. Practice, practice, practice.

Bob,

Maybe you misread my post

The comment about the RV12 dropping a wing was suggesting that the pilot induced the wing drop with some rudder and did not realise it.

Thanks - I got it. just an attempt at some dry humor with a touch of reality. I have yet to 'feel' the ball go off center when I'm flying, so I'll need to make usre I'm keepint that in check until I can develop the sensations!

Bob