wsouligny

I'm New Here
I have the wings, fuselage and empanage completed on my RV-12 and have applied etching and sanding primer to these parts. The finishing kit is on order. However, the ends of the stabilator seem far from finished. There are holes and stiffing beads visible on both ends. Is that it? Has anyone applied a finishing plate to the ends of the stab, or does info come later in the building process? Thanks, anxious 1st time builder.

I agree, they are ugly and unfinished looking. I am working on a pair of tips with winglets! Serve no purpose whatever, but good conversation pieces. Several are working on tips with some possibility of production for all.

I agree, they are ugly and unfinished looking. I am working on a pair of tips with winglets! Serve no purpose whatever, but good conversation pieces. Several are working on tips with some possibility of production for all.

Just be very careful what you add to the Stabiliser Guys. You may cause a static or aerodynamic imbalance, that could cause flutter!!! I am not an aerodynamic guru, but a lot of the stories I read, flutter is often fatal. :eek:

Stab Fairings

I have the wings, fuselage and empanage completed on my RV-12 and have applied etching and sanding primer to these parts. The finishing kit is on order. However, the ends of the stabilator seem far from finished. There are holes and stiffing beads visible on both ends. Is that it? Has anyone applied a finishing plate to the ends of the stab, or does info come later in the building process? Thanks, anxious 1st time builder.

I built the plug and will build the mold soon.
Take a Look at these two pages

www.joesrv12.com/Builder Log/al_02_01.htm

www.joesrv12.com/Builder Log/al_02_02.htm

Last edited:
I have just finished the hori stab as well and did not want to rivet the outside ribs thinking I am missing something. I will also make or modify to mAke it neater .

RV-12 Stabilator finishing

Thanks folks for the input and suggestions. I want to keep this plane as close to stock as possible (no E-AB) so am thinking I'll just cut pieces of skin material to match the stab profile and panel bond them to the ends of the stab. This might add a few ounces at most to the stab which should eliminate any flutter concerns.

Larry Geiger cut a cover piece for each end of the HS. Looks great, but, I cannot locate the photo. Maybe he will repost or just PM him.

Remember Guys.......

If it's not in the plans, don't do it until after certification!

Stabilator ends

I had some end fairings(similar to the shape of the fairing on top of the vert. stab.) made from ABS plastic. No photos yet, but will after the -12 leaves the paint shop. I installed them a few days ago and they look good.

Larry Geiger cut a cover piece for each end of the HS. Looks great, but, I cannot locate the photo. Maybe he will repost or just PM him.

RV-12 Sabilator_tip.JPG

I used some scrap material the same thichness as the skin and laid out a rivet pattern that looks stock.

Last edited:
Mine are identical to Larry's

After seeing Larry's photos I shamelessly copied. I made a cardboard pattern, transferred that to .020" stock. laid out the rivet pattern, drilled the plates, and taped them in position to match-drill the holes. After riveting, a bit of work with file and sanding board matched the shape the the stab perfectly. Only a couple of hours work, less than 4 oz weight added, no noticable affect on handling at any airspeed.

Wayne 120241/143WM