DonFromTX

Well Known Member
OK, I am anxious, when does a guy get his serial number assigned? I asked Vans but got no answer.

You are suggesting that we each make our own serial number? That could get confusing to the FAA.

You are free to choose any number you like for serial number.
Most people use the builder number because Van's has started putting that number on the "bill of sale".
I've always used the year plus the sequential number of aircraft that I've built. i.e. my RV-6 S/N is 92006.

Wow, that opens up a whole new ball game of trying to reserve my N number. Somehow the FAA registry would seem to be a mess then, with like a dozen serial number 1 RV 12's for instance. I thought you only made up your own with an E AB aircraft..

You are correct...

In that with E-LSA, Van's is the manufacturer of all E-LSA RV-12s. In this case, it's best, by far, to use the builder number.

As a matter of fact, I need to back down on my previous statement. Since Van's will use the builder number as the serial number on the 8130-15, you are pretty much locked in to that number.

OK thanks, that would make far better sense then. I guess I will have to wait another month for mine.

Maybe not. I just noticed in papers I have from Vans for some time, I am "Customer 120461".
Don't that look suspiciously like serial number 461 is assigned to me?

Assigned serial number

I am "Customer 120461".
Don't that look suspiciously like serial number 461 is assigned to me?
Yes, if you register as E-LSA, Van's will assign serial number 120461 to your aircraft. If you register as E-AB, I believe that you can use any serial number that you want as long as it is unique (not used for the same make and model).
Joe

Hrm, that's interesting Since I bought the empennage kit from someone else I got his customer number 120170... which I think ends up being Larry Geiger's RV12s... great...

Larry, if you see this, can you confirm your customer number? did you get your wings from Jetrep and got his customer number first and VANs is double assigning the customer number?

WOO!

Hrm, that's interesting Since I bought the empennage kit from someone else I got his customer number 120170... which I think ends up being Larry Geiger's RV12s... great...

Larry, if you see this, can you confirm your customer number? did you get your wings from Jetrep and got his customer number first and VANs is double assigning the customer number?

WOO!

Larry's RV-12 is serial number 120171
Joe

Yeppers, SN 120171

I bought all of the kits directly from Vans, nothing was second hand.

Last edited: