jlfernan

Well Known Member
This may not be earth shattering, but it's made my day. I've documented here before my issue with getting the LP4-3 rivets through some of the holes in my kit. I was convinced it was primer in the the holes preventing the rivets from going in easily. I've had some great advice on tools from awls to punches. None really seemed to help me completely. What I finally figured out is that the shaft of a #30 drill bit is exactly the same diameter as the prepunched holes. So I simply cut a piece off a 12" #30 bit I had, ground the end into a point and use it to clear the holes of primer. It does not make the holes bigger or stretch them like an awl would. I know this silly, but for some reason it was a solution staring me in the face and I couldn't see it. I also used a mini chuck from my right-angle drill to serve as a handle. Hopefully this will help someone else out there.

dscf3308t.jpg

Not silly at all. Everybody that builds one of these beasts comes up with something that works for them. My forehead is black and blue from "why didn't I think of that moments".

My biggest forehead dent is from a post I can't find right now - but shows the rivet squeezer being held no-hands upright in a simple wooden jig attached to the bench. ARGH!!!! All that time I spent squeezing rivets with the handle of the squeezer embedded in my crotch!

My biggest forehead dent is from a post I can't find right now - but shows the rivet squeezer being held no-hands upright in a simple wooden jig attached to the bench. ARGH!!!! All that time I spent squeezing rivets with the handle of the squeezer embedded in my crotch!

Built one of those also. Very helpful.

dscf3288z.jpg

Take the version you show but mount it vertical, (make a block to retain the squeezer) so you are facing it with the handle to your right. That way you get the support of the dies themselves in doing things like nut plates. One hand holds the piece with gravity assisting, the other works the handle. WISH I HAD KNOWN!

Take the version you show but mount it vertical, (make a block to retain the squeezer) so you are facing it with the handle to your right. That way you get the support of the dies themselves in doing things like nut plates. One hand holds the piece with gravity assisting, the other works the handle. WISH I HAD KNOWN!

Secure your squeezer vertically (or horizontally) in a vice and you're good to go!

:)

Erik