Jennafly

Hello everyone. I have some questions about rv-12s if I may

Do Rotax 912ULSs still need the carb rubber boots inspected at 50 hrs?

How well do fast build kits go together? I've known 2 builders who seemed frustrated.

Do rivet holes have to be redrilled, deburred... Or just use them as is?

How high will Rotax 912 reasonably go, as I fly also over New Mexico on way to Oshkosh, and may need to go up to 10 or 11

Does it get annoying or hot flying in the bubble canopy on hot days? I'm used to Cessnas.

How fast does RV-12 truly go with 912ULS in it?

Where can I get a flight in one, so I can see what they're like before committing?

Better to build my own or buy someone else's used E-LSA?

I know that's a lot, but I've been thinking, and need to learn.

Thank u
iPad

Q. Do Rotax 912ULSs still need the carb rubber boots inspected at 50 hrs?
A. Every 200 hrs according to line maintenance manual. Easily done. Not sure of your concern for this.

Q. How well do fast build kits go together? I've known 2 builders who seemed frustrated.
A. I thought it was easy. It was fun and relaxing for me. Took me 900 hrs including paint.

Q. Do rivet holes have to be redrilled, deburred... Or just use them as is?
A. Deburred only

Q. How high will Rotax 912 reasonably go, as I fly also over New Mexico on way to Oshkosh, and may need to go up to 10 or 11
A. POH shows a gross weight ceiling of 13,800 ft - I would say that is all. 11,000 is no problem.

Q. Does it get annoying or hot flying in the bubble canopy on hot days? I'm used to Cessnas.
A. In flight is not a problem in the heat. RV-12 has great air vents, but would recommend a sunshade like the Koger that Vans sells. On the ramp taxing is hot, like a Cessna, but you can open the canopy slightly resting it closed on the latch and its not bad. Visibility is awesome - Wouldn't want to fly a Cessna again.

Q. How fast does RV-12 truly go with 912ULS in it?
A. 120kts TAS with wheel fairing kit.

Q. Where can I get a flight in one, so I can see what they're like before committing?
A. Van's factory in OR, or their rep on the East coast., or if you find an owner near you and ask they may.

Q.Better to build my own or buy someone else's used E-LSA?
A. All depends if you want to build. Building is fun, for some of us. Cost about the same either way.

I like my RV-12. Was easy and fun to build. Easy and fun to fly. Good on fuel too.

Good luck,
Andy

Last edited:
1) I don't know that one, but this is the first time I've heard of it, so I expect the answer is "no".

2) there's no "fast build" kit for the rv-12, i.e. no pre-made wings etc., but the whole kit is technically "fast build" since it only takes 800 hours, it's really a simply build, if I can do it, anyone can, trust me !

3) all holes and edges need to be deburred, you get used to that really quick. There are some holes that need match drilling, and some that need final drilling, but 99% of the kit is just, deburr and assemble, it's a REALLY easy build.

4) if your pilot certificate is LSA then YOU the pilot, not the plane, are limited to flight below 10000MSL.
The Rotax is normally aspirated so I expect a real world ceiling more like 14000+, but I don't know for sure, but 10000' is not a problem at all.

5) There is a retraceable roof mounted sunshade that most people install. Still, like you, I do expect it will get hot on summer days, but the view will make up for that :), and open the air vents !

6) max cruise is 120KTS at sea level, I expect a true useful cruise speed will be about 115kts TAS at 7000' ish with a reasonable engine setting and fuel flow, and wheel pants etc.

7) to know where to get a ride, you will need to say where you are.
Vans has a demonstrator model in Oregon. But I expect there's a builder near you who would love to show off his pride and joy.

8) You're asking the wrong people !, ofc we are all going to say build your own is better, that's why we are all here on this website :)
It's a really easy and fun build and you get everything the way you want it, and you get to know everything about your plane, but it takes at least a year of investment before you will fly, and most people take 2 years or more.

Tim

Hello everyone. I have some questions about rv-12s if I may

Do Rotax 912ULSs still need the carb rubber boots inspected at 50 hrs?

How well do fast build kits go together? I've known 2 builders who seemed frustrated.

Do rivet holes have to be redrilled, deburred... Or just use them as is?

How high will Rotax 912 reasonably go, as I fly also over New Mexico on way to Oshkosh, and may need to go up to 10 or 11

Does it get annoying or hot flying in the bubble canopy on hot days? I'm used to Cessnas.

How fast does RV-12 truly go with 912ULS in it?

Where can I get a flight in one, so I can see what they're like before committing?

I know that's a lot, but I've been thinking, and need to learn.

Thank u
iPad

Hmmmm

Great info.

I'm not sure what my concerns are. I'm starting with things I've heard and learning.

Build vs buy: may attend seminar at OSH on liability when sell; time to build... I don't want to go a year building. I'd prefer to learn, then devote more time to it, get it done. 30 hrs avg a week, maybe 6-7 months? Overly ambitious? My late husband would be proud of me. But my motivation would be cost saving, learning, and kniwing I have something I might be able to fly when I'm 100. :)

I could consider buying an RV-12 E-LSA if someone else built it, as I'm not thrilled with the time 4 doing ut, but we will see.

Ok: altitude good, deburre only, mostly; canopy different...

U know I was initially skeptical of Rotax, but I'm thinking it may be actually better than I thought. I'm liking it more the more I learn about it.

I am in Los Angeles area, for seeking ride. But if they give them at RV in Oregon, I could go up there.

J
iPad

Maybe a little premature, but there are RV-12s being built at high schools. If you are interested in buying one at close to kit cost, and supporting a great educational experience, it is something to consider. Eagle's Nest One is going to be used for flight instruction for kids in the programs, but I think EN-II will be for sale at some point. EN-I will be at Oshkosh, tail # N901EN, and it will be on AeroShell Square (Phillips 66 Plaza?) Monday morning. See mykitlog.com/bobkelly for details on EN-I and RV-1.org for other info. I can tell you it is a simple kit, compared to the other RVs. Our kids are doing a great job, and loving it!

Bob

Maybe a little premature, but there are RV-12s being built at high schools.

Bob, Certainly not premature, unless you are unwilling to mention that one has already been built and flown by High School students and its one year aniversary from first flight was two days ago (May 5th).
There is now a second project under way. Check progress HERE

Compared to most kits, the RV12 is more of an assembly than a build. It happens very fast. They fly extremely well.

Bob, Certainly not premature, unless you are unwilling to mention that one has already been built and flown by High School students and its one year aniversary from first flight was two days ago (May 5th).
There is now a second project under way. Check progress HERE

I can't and certainly don't want to forget the Teen Flight projects! They were the first kids group to do something like this, and they helped us a lot. I don't know, however, what they are planning to do with the second one, and I believe (like our first) their first one will not be sold. The big difference here is "at high schools." This is becoming a part of the curriculum--a class, not an outside project. Our first was non-credit, but that is in the process of being changed. If you are interested and have a high school in mind, we might even be able to get one going there! We have spent years getting this up-to-speed, and it looks like it is working--four schools are on board, with more to come. You are a part of the equation. It will be people like you that provide the outlet for the finished product!

Bob

Hi Jenna
I think you have the right idea - learn what you need to know, then commit as much time as possible to building your own RV 12.
I've been working on mine for about 6 months now, and I have something that looks a lot like an aircraft in the shed! The 12 kit goes together really well - it's a remarkable piece of engineering.

You will get so much satisfaction from building it yourself, and there is a wealth of support and knowledge out there to help when you need it.

You can do the vast majority of the work by yourself. The first time I needed to call in help was to lift the wing spars on to the work bench! You do need a reasonably strong helper to do the wings as they have to be rotated on the bench a couple of times.

There's a lot of amusement to be had from being a woman aircraft builder. The reaction from guys varies from hugely impressed to sheer disbelief :) I've found fellow builders to be very supportive and helpful. I'll bet if you decide to build, you will make a large circle of great new friends along the way.

How many women do you know who have built and flown their own aircraft? Your husband really would be proud of you.

All the best

Shirley

RV6 flying 6 years
RV12 metal work done - now learning about wiring these newfangled avionics!

iPad

Jenna, if you have the time and interest, why not build one? As Shirley said in her post, the RV-12 goes together exceptionally well, and it's good fun and a big achievement. You also make a lot of new friends along the way. I've seen her project, and can vouch for the remarkable progress she's made in a short time, and also the quality of her workmanship (or should that be `workwomanship' ;) ). "I'm building a plane" is also a great opening line at a party.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob:cool:

Just had another of those amusing moments: email from Jessica at Vans starting 'Dear Mr.....'

I know - Shirley is a male name in the US.

Comne on Jenna - give it a go. See what I mean about support and encouragement? Rob has been a great help to me with my project and we didn't know each other before we started RV 12s. I'll be your online building buddy if you want :D

Shirley

Great Info

Thank you all. Great Info. And thanks. You know, I think the support you offer each other is a great selling point. You make it seem exciting.

Yes, Shirley, I get interesting responses from people sometimes even when I just fly cross-country. Pilots like to be teased. Like the other day when I walked out on the ramp at Double Eagle, NM: a guy was flying a Cessna Jet, and I was telling the line guy (loud enough for the pilot to overhear) not to worry about the bill, as I could blast off and be long gone before he could get it figured up. The pilot got a huge grin and seemed to like the camaraderie. And sometimes people look at me and say, "You flew that thing all the way over here, yourself?" I just answer them with something like, "Of course. I didn't carry it." (In a teasing way.)

But on building: Yes, I do believe RV has a Great reputation, that there is a lot of support. Hmmmmm. And also, I know there would be guys at the airport willing to help if I needed to rotate a wing, etc. I'd probably need to put in some chairs and a coffee maker for some of them.

And then, flying into OSH or any of a hundred airports for the next several years, I'd get a ubiquitous, "You built that thing yourself?" And I'd answer, "Yes. I tried to get him (whoever is standing by me) to do it, but he doesn't know how to work a screwdriver..." (in a teasing way). (If in an ornery crowd, that last sentence could be modified to get a bigger laugh?but that's me.)

So, I'm considering it.

I think what I should do is work my way up to the factory soon and talk with them there, take a flight.

Thank you all for your wonderful help.

Jenna

I really like this RV-12 and a nice story to read:

GeneralAviationNews.com

Judy-Betz-one-of-a-kind-RV-12-pink-1-thumb-550x366.jpg