dougknight

Well Known Member
What is the general consences as to primering the al-clad interior parts prior to riveting? is anybody doing it? all the construction photo's i've seen just show the bare al-clad aluminum (haven't looked a lot though). If anyone is primering what are you using? Sherwin Williams? alodine? other?

doug

Here's a link to a poll I did a while back on the same question. Should have left the poll open, but I put a time limit on it for no good reason.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=59500&highlight=primer

I've decided to prime all surfaces in contact and all surfaces where the alclad finish has been compromised by deburring, scotchbriting etc. I'm using an 'industrial grade' rattle can etch primer called Wattyl Super Etch, which is an Australian product. It's also available in cans, so I'll probably use a spray gun to apply it to larger surfaces, such as the cockpit area. Wattyl's US operation was recently aquired by PPG.

Last edited:
I'm using Cortec VcPI-373 green for priming and the surface preparation is done with Cortec VcPI-440 (which is cleaning the Al as well as helping with the corrosion protection).
IThe 373 comes in 5 gal. pails and I shoot it with an HVLP gun on all interior surfaces. The Cortec products are much less aggressive as other options and that's why I went with them. So far I am completely happy with this stuff.