mikemarker

I'm New Here
Just wondering how the RV-12?s Sensenich prop holds up during operations on dirt and gravel runways. Unpaved airstrips in New Mexico tend to be dirt or gravel instead of grass. I would be interested in hearing from those who have operated RV-12s off pavement. Does the metal leading edge offer adequate protection from sand, dirt and small rocks?

Mike Marker

RV-12 N12ZC

I've flown many airplanes, including a Mooney, off gravel runways and never dinged a prop.
The secret is to not fully open the throttle while sitting still. Just use enough power to get moving, then advance slowly.

Just wondering how the RV-12?s Sensenich prop holds up during operations on dirt and gravel runways. Unpaved airstrips in New Mexico tend to be dirt or gravel instead of grass. I would be interested in hearing from those who have operated RV-12s off pavement. Does the metal leading edge offer adequate protection from sand, dirt and small rocks?

Mike Marker

RV-12 N12ZC

Mike its good to hear of another 12 in NM! How far along are you?

Bob

haven't had a problem with the stainless edge but the paint on the back of the strip has nearly all chipped off the rest of the prop has just a few chips

haven't had a problem with the stainless edge but the paint on the back of the strip has nearly all chipped off the rest of the prop has just a few chips

Thanks for the feedback. How do you repair the aft face of the RV-12s prop that has experienced and dirt abrasion? Is the composite structure of the prop damaged on the aft prop face? Is the repair simply priming and painting the area of chipped paint?

I have operated my RV-4 on dirt strips for years without a serious ding to the prop?s LE. I?m always careful to add just enough power to get moving and use soft field techniques for take-offs and landings. However the aft side of its metal prop looks like it has been sandblasted. The RV-12 has much less prop clearance than the RV-4 and I would expect its prop to be more susceptible to sand and dirt abrasion.

Mike Marker

I gently sanded all the paint off the rear of the stainless strip most of it just flaked off and on the rest of the prop I used nail polish to seal the few other chips

I wonder if a slurry of micro balloons could be used for minor defects. I don't know how it might affect prop balance, though.

Im building a 9A, but considering a Catto prop and have several friends with dirt-gravel strips I would like to land at. I wonder about the durability of the composite props too. I am willing to try just about anything in the build - repair part of my airplane, but the prop is one thing I may just leave to the experts. We had a Malibu throw a propeller here a couple years ago. Lucky it was able to glide into the Aspen airport. Something spinning that fast freaks me out not understanding how little or much it would take to get out of balance.

Im not talking about fixing small paint chips - I would do that, but once I needed to mix up epoxy, I would want to be REAL sure I talked with Craig first.

An interesting part of the Malibu story was they offered a $5000 reward for whoever found the prop. Some guy found it. The picture shows the entire prop had come off. It wasn't just a blade separation.
http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20080821/NEWS/188293177

Micro balloons should work but I would consult the manufacturer before doing anything.

Also, props are not the only issue when operating on "dirt". The horizontal stab is also likely to get some dents. Many planes have protectors or "boots". I don't know how or if this would affect flight characteristics.

Your wheel pants will also be subject to damage but if you take them off then the flaps are likely to get some dents.