Bob Ross

I'm starting to think about reserving the N number for my RV12. I noticed that the two VAN's prototypes are N912RV and N912VA. Why 912? Is it related to the Rotax? Is there any particular sequence or theme that is being used for the RV12?:confused:

Bob Ross
RV12 #120288

Entirely your choice as long as the number you want is not reserved or assigned.

Cause 12VA and 12RV were already taken? I thought about a theme like that when I was going about reserving a number and decided to go a different more personal route.

N number trivia

I like short calls with some significance. My Arrow is N98JG - for John and Graham, my partner in the airplane. My wife says the 98 means we are 98% good pilots. N37JP was the only 4 digit call with a "JP" suffix. And by coincidence, 37 is the year I was born!

I reserved 912RJ
912 is the motor
12 is the aircraft (RV12)
9 is the month I was born
I am a Romeo
She is a Juliet
RJ are my initials
I could go on...

Short "N" Numbers

I also like short, and easy to say "N" numbers. The less syllables, the better.
I tried to get N12M, but I missed it, so I chose N123M. Not the best, but it is only 5 syllables. Also, I have a cub with N4868M. Mike is one of the two single syllable letter in our phonetic alphabet.

Tom

Actually 123M is 4 syllables. If you include N123M, it becomes 7.

Thanks, Mel...for a minute there I thought I was suffering from "New Math" syndrome (it's so simple...so very simple...that only a child can do it! for you Tom Lehrer fans). :D

N Numbers Containing "I" or "O"

Thanks for all the great suggestions about choosing an N number.

I searched the FAA database of available N numbers and there appear to be many low syllable choices that end in the characters O or I. I understand that visually these characters can be confused with numbers 0 and 1 but phonetically they sound pretty good.

Is the use of O and I prohibited?:eek:

Bob

No India or Oscar.

India and Oscar are not allowed within "N" numbers for the reason you cited.

Question re: reserved N numbers

How do you finalize your reserved N number? Do I write it in on the Aircraft Registration Application (8050-1)?

Thanks for any help,
Tony

N143WM

I've been writing about 1/43 scale model cars for about 30 years-- income from magazine columns and articles has paid for much of my flying expenses for the last 15 years. So N143WM seemed appropriate and is now reserved.

Wayne Moyer-- the 1/43 guy

How do you finalize your reserved N number? Do I write it in on the Aircraft Registration Application (8050-1)?

Yes, And include a note stating that you would like your reserved number to be applied to this aircraft.

Not an RV-12, but I reserved N616CG:

Our anniversary: June 16th

My name: Colin

Her Name: Gina

She asked why it was 'CG' instead of 'GC' I told her to say "golf-charlie" three time fast and then say "charlie-golf". She said "ahhh, now I get it". I'm glad she fell for that one...hahaha

In the UK we only have letters to play with - like Canada. Having had G-RVVI on the RV-6, we thought G-TWLV might be appropriate for the 12.

The other thing to bear in mind is to have a registration that's easy to say over the radio! :)

Identifying Yourself On The Air

Actually 123M is 4 syllables. If you include N123M, it becomes 7.

Actually, you rarely hear "November" used to precede the identifier, at least in my part of the USA. It seems more or less understood that the call is from a US registered aircraft, if no country identifier is used. Controllers, and others, appreciate the aircraft being identified, much more than the country code. eg. Cessna 123M, or RV123M. In fact, Light Sport 123M tells the informed controller a whole lot more. He knows your gross weight, your stall speed, your cruise speed, and he probably has a pretty good idea about how much cross wind that you can handle, without cluttering up his runway with a bunch of debris! So, I guess 6 syllables might be more accurate.

Tom

In fact, Light Sport 123M tells the informed controller a whole lot more. He knows your gross weight, your stall speed, your cruise speed, and he probably has a pretty good idea about how much cross wind that you can handle, without cluttering up his runway with a bunch of debris! So, I guess 6 syllables might be more accurate.

While you are correct in this premise, you are still required to use the word "experimental" on initial call up when landing or departing an airport with an operational control tower.
Use of the words "Light-Sport" insinuates light-sport category, or S-LSA.

Last edited:
Experimental On Initial Call

Mel, You are absolutely correct. Whether it is ELSA, or EAB, it is still experimental and identification as such, is a requirement.

Tom