edgeflyr

I'm New Here
Hello everyone... I'm the new guy to this site. Just signed up tonight!! Anyway, I'm an aspiring Student Sport Pilot and I am also attending College to become an A&P Tech. I've looked at a lot of Sport LSA airplanes and keep coming back to the RV-12. Can anyone help me to lock in my decision of beginning on a journey of building and investing in an RV-12. How is the safety of this plane? Thanks a lot... any info would be great... Happy Flying!!

Kevin,

You can't buy a ready-to-fly (new) LSA for this price. Van's has been around a long time and has produced aircraft with the best flying characteristics of any small aircraft. The RV-12 is lighter (and cheaper) than anything in its class. Sure you have to build it but its pre-drilled and fits like a glove...anyone can do it and have a ball in the meantime. And of course it burns 4 to 5 gallons an hour. I've already built the wings, the fuse and the tailcone....just waiting on the finishing kit. Go for it.

Pete

RV-12 safety

To date, there have been two RV-12's in existence, both Van's prototypes, and I believe the first one (somewhat different from what's now in production) is now retired and partially dismantled. No customer-built RV-12's have been completed yet. So there really isn't much of a safety record yet, one way or the other, if that's the type of info you're asking for.

But examining the RV-12's specifications and test data, and considering Van's track record, I think the RV-12 will likely prove itself a fun, safe, and commercially successful airplane.

A couple of things you should consider:

1. Get a demo flight at Van's (I assume they're doing them now with the RV-12). See how you click with the airplane.

2. Find a local RV-12 builder and help him for an afternoon. See how you click with the building process. But then again you're in A&P training, so you probably know pretty well what you're getting into for that aspect.

3. Given a well behaved airplane, the most important safety factor is you, the pilot. Good proficiency, good judgment, etc. Take it seriously, always strive to learn more and improve your skills,... have fun and stay safe!

sport pilot

Hi Kevin,

One other thing you may want to consider..think about going for the private pilot license rather than sport pilot license. A private pilot can fly LSA aircraft without having to get another license. A sport pilot can not fly non LSA aircraft without getting another license (Private Pilot). I don't believe there are many hours difference (sport I think is minimum 30 hr?, whereas PPL is minimum 40 hr). The PPL gives more options. Just a thought.

jim

Last edited:
As a kit builder....

Kevin,

The beauty of a kit plane is you can do what ever you want to with your aircraft as long as it is safe. Of course following some standards of which production aircraft must adhere to is not a bad idea. The Vans people, I believe, have been around over thirty years and hold the distinction of selling more kit planes than any other company (someone please verify this). They are known all over the world and I think there have been at least one member that has circumnavigated the globe with their two seater. A fasinating story in itself. The Vans people have an excellent support system and provide the means to buy those parts you may damage during the build process.

One of the other members here had mentioned go for a flight in an RV-12, for that matter go for a flight in all of them to get a real good idea what each model has to offer.

I wish you the best of luck and most importantly, have fun building whatever kit you decide on.

We will anxiously await your decision :rolleyes:

Not a kit

Just remember the RV-12 if built to be ELSA is not a kit. Yes you build it like a kit and have all the fun of the build, but you cannot decide on anything. The engine, instruments are not up to the builders decision. A Experimental Plane like the RV-9 I'm building I get to decide on the Engine, instruments and any other mods I want. Just don't want any confusion about the RV-12 ELSA and other RV's Experimental.

This is a great time to be building a Vans RV12, or any other airplane for that matter. All-glass panels are becoming dirt cheap, and if your are the more adventurous sort there are many engine options now available or coming.

Don't see how you can go wrong, but better talk it over long and hard with your spouse!

Anyone know the status of the FAA's decision on the new Experimental AB rules. If I were to build a -12, I would want the freedom of building it with a little design freedom, thus would required the Ex-AB certification. I would not want to get started and have the new rules throw a monkey wrench in the process.

Tom
RV-7A N175TJ Flying