Dgamble

Well Known Member
With a dozen 12s flying now, is anyone willing to share how the insurance companies are treating them? Are they as expensive as a -6 (I'm paying around $1,600 annually for mine) or does the LSA aspect make them cheaper to insure?

Maybe very soon there will be dozens!!

$1850 for $60K in-motion and not-in-motion. $1M liability. I am a low time pilot, 225 hours total, 10 hours in the last 90 days, (for that matter, 10 hours in the last 25 years! Just restarted flying after a long hiatus). Had ZERO hours, in the make/model.

Through EAA/Falcon/Global Aerospace.

Maybe it will come down a bit after I gain some additional recent time and time in the make/model (RV-12).

Should be about the same a a similar valued RV-XA. Within a few $$. Being an LSA might actually make them a little MORE, not less. What with no medical, etc.

I know - not logical, but airplane underwriting is not necessarilly logical - it's market driven, so put your logical arguments aside.

Less HP should equal less $$$. The more hours you have the cheaper insurance is, all the more reason to fly alot! :D

re: cost

Keep in mind that by comparison, aircraft insurance isn't really all that expensive when compared to auto. Why? I personally think it's because it's not required. When it become mandatory, the insurance companies will cash in on it and it will go up significantly.

Marshall Alexander

insurance - fixed cost

I was wondering what the fixed costs are for a RV-12. there is the insurance, hanger rent possibly.
I have heard the argument that you to fly about 50 to 60 hours a year to have a benefit over renting. My main reason to build the 12 is accessibility. Now I have to share the airplanes with many other renters. I am fortunate to be relatively close to one of the biggest LSA flight school but it is 1 hour away and I can't get up when the weather is nice.

So I am are trying to get a good overview of the expenses outside of building. I am ready to start ordering the toolkit and tail kit but want to do the due diligence.

thanks guys

Insurance

Just get liability. That's only about $300/$400. If you break something you built...you fix it. Use car gas, its cheaper but try to find non-ethanol, cars hate it but aluminum really dislikes it. And of course you can consider keeping it at home with the wings off though I will tell you putting them on and off is just a tad more difficult than the video. Don't forget the expense of tools. Just because you're not bucking rivets doesn't mean you can build it with a hammer and screwdriver.

Just get liability. That's only about $300/$400. If you break something you built...you fix it.

Peter,

thanks for your reply, just to clear is that $400 per month or year? I{ agree with you that it is easily fixed but if you have major damage it is a different story. What if the plane egts damaged by a storm/hurricane than only liabilty is going to hurt a lot.

Pieter

Insurance requirements

Maybe very soon there will be dozens!!

$1850 for $60K in-motion and not-in-motion. $1M liability. I am a low time pilot, 225 hours total, 10 hours in the last 90 days, (for that matter, 10 hours in the last 25 years! Just restarted flying after a long hiatus). Had ZERO hours, in the make/model.

Through EAA/Falcon/Global Aerospace.

Maybe it will come down a bit after I gain some additional recent time and time in the make/model (RV-12).

Marty:

Did they specify that you have dual time with a CFI in the RV-12 prior to flying solo? I ask because I am working with my agent (who also insures my C172) and he has come back with a package via Global as well. Total premium about the same as yours- I asked for $70K hull. They will cover the first flight (which I plan to have a multiple RV builder do for me and they will include him as the named pilot for the first flight). However, they indicated I would need 5 hrs dual with a CFI prior to me soloing the plane. I had planned to fly with the individual I am having do the first flight until I am comfortable (i.e. that was my planned transition training). However, he is not a CFI so in essence, I will need to find a CFI to do dual training with me, despite the fact that they will not have any RV-12 experience. I am questioning this, as it does not seem to be uniform requirement. I am still a relatively low time pilot as well (about 200 hours but all in the past 6 years) so that piece does not seem different from what you describe.

Jeff

$1600.00

After checking with EAA (Falcon), AOPA, Natiionair, and Aircraft & Marine (Who've been insuring my AA-1) A&M had the lowest offfer for the same package Marty listed. They asked (but did not require) I get some dual before first flight, which WAS worth the trip to Oregon. I've got about 1500 hours, instrument rating (not current) and some tailwheel time long ago.

Wayne 120241

A UK quote

I got a quote for insurance in the UK.

About ?800 for "ground risks", but this includes 15 hours of test flying. Full flight cover for any pilot with 100 hours and my permission ;-) is around ?1600 for ?60,000 hull coverage, and the European standard third-party (?2.3 million?), with ?7.5 million Crown Indemnity. For our US cousins we have to have 7.5m ($10m) if we fly into a military base in case our little puddle-jumper hist some serious iron.

Based on 1100 hours experience, no accidents...Keith

RV12 Insurance

Jeff, Try Travers & Associates, WWW.Traversaviation.com or 800-888-9859. Ask for Mary Maggio, tell her what you do for a living and maybe they can beat your current insurer. She gave me a great rate. When do you think you will be ready to fly?

John
RV12 N1212K

After checking with EAA (Falcon), AOPA, Nationair, and Aircraft & Marine (Who've been insuring my AA-1) A&M had the lowest offfer for the same package Marty listed.

If you are calling four agents you are wasting your time. You can call 100 agents, but they will ALL go to the same 4 markets for quotes.

These insurance threads would be much more informative if some time could be spent discussing details of diffrent terms and premiums from different INSURERS, rather than just always turning in to "call my guy at xxx-xxx-xxxx."

If we could discuss Global Aerospace's policy vs. Chartis' policy, vs. US Specialty's policy, etc, in terms of dual requirements and premiums, we'd all benefit.

There's nothing different that Travers (a broker) can offer you vs. Nationair, vs. any other broker OTHER THAN being nice to you when you call and being knowledgable and prompt when you request a change or some other service.