danielabernath

Well Known Member
I bought the plane and now I must replace the battery. I've taken out all the screws and can't figure out how to take the cowling off to put in the new battery.
Sorry if this sounds silly to you old flying dogs but this is my issue at the moment.:eek:

Did you get the Maintenance manual document with the airplane?
If you did, I am pretty sure it details how to do it.
If you didn't, you can access an online copy HERE

Thank you. It is right there at 12-4
Here it is for anyone else who might search remove cowling RV 12
"COWLING REMOVAL
Tools #2 Phillips screwdriver
Expendable None
Replaceable Hinge pins
Service Rating Preventative
Minimum Certification Owner and SPC, LSA-RM or A&P
Additional References KAI
1. Remove the screws (2) in the F-1240B Cover Plate located at the top rear of the
cowling to access the cowl attach hinge pins.
2. Top Cowl: Remove the top cowl fwd. attach screws (6), side pin anchor screws
(2), hinge pins (4) and the top cowl.
3. Bottom Cowl: Remove the bottom cowl attach screws (12) located on the
bottom of the cowl, the oil cooler attach screws (2) located at the top of the oil cooler, the hinge pins (4) and the bottom cowl. Note: The oil cooler will remain
attached to the airplane, hanging in place by its associated oil hoses.
INSTALLATION
1. Installation procedure is reverse of the removal procedure. Note: As the lower
cowl is lifted into place maneuver the oil cooler so that its lower notches
drop onto the Cowl 12 Guides. The cooler should then self align to allow for
installing the attach screws.":)

Before replacing the lower cowl, use masking tape to protect the paintwork on the right-hand forward edge of the fuselage. When you're trying to work the cowl up over the exhaust pipe, you're likely to find that the cowl hinge will rub on your nice new paint. It will probably also manage to hang up on the tab on the lower edge of the fuselage while you're doing this, which will result in more gymnastics trying to get it clear again. Although one person can fit the lower cowl, you may find it easier if you have a helper.