Top Cat

Well Known Member
Newbie question.

I have a new SLSA and was told to use the tow bar as a gust lock. There's a way you can put the 'wheel' ends against the rudders//brakes and the t-handle against the seat, with the stick in the middle.

I've managed to do this though its tight and needs some pressure to get the t-bat against the seat floor.

However, this means the tow bar is pressed against the brakes quite hard and I know the plane won't move like this.

I just started doing this. Today I noticed, after sitting a week, that the brakes were spongy and made noise when braking harder. I'm not totally used to steering by differential brakes and so have probably over used them in my clumsiness, however, with just 50 hours on the plane I'm not sure this is a way to use the tow bar against the brakes, and surely the brakes can't be that worn already?
I can't get the tow-bar to fit at all using the lower part of the rudder pedal.

The braking works?'okay' but not as good as before and I'm going to take the fairings off next time I'm at the hangar and perhaps have the mechanic take a look.

Just looking for some wisdom ! Thanks!

The usual way (with the Bogart tow bar) is to put the fully extended tow bar handle against the back of the seat. Adjust the seat to make it snug, use the lap belt to keep the tow bar handle from riding up.
At the "wheel" end weld or otherwise attach (I used hose clamps!) 2 small tabs, extending the length an inch or so. The tow bar pushes against the bottom of the rudders, the tabs go over the rudder bar and under the brake,keeping the tow bar from falling down.

I've described the setup in the -10, I assume yours is similar. Search the -10 forum for photos.

I have Van's factory tow-bar installed in my RV-12 ELSA per his directions. I don't think the intent of the tow-bar, when used as a gust lock for the rudder, was to have it compress the toe brakes. In my experience, the braking system on most light planes is not designed for and doesn't function well as a "parking brake" over long periods of time -- the fluid pressure eventually bleeds off resulting in no parking brake effect. IMHO, the Van's tow-bar / gust lock serves primarily to keep the unrestrained rudder from flopping around in the wind or some miscreant's prop blast. I use the seat belt wrapped around the control stick to secure the stabilator and flaperons. Some have suggested that a more neutral stabilator position would be a better position and they insert a brace between the seat back and the control stick -- that sounds fine as well. The simple approach works for me! :)

ps -- One day, I will add a parking brake valve to my braking system that I can use to temporarily keep the plane stationary on a sloped apron while I climb out and affix chocks / tiedowns -- but I don't see using the parking brake for long-term parking.

Last edited:
Would fitting the gust lock against the top of the rudders (the white 't' shape) where the brakes are, causing them to be 'on' (not allowing wheel movement) be a reason to damage the brakes in any way?

Talking of brakes?since the brakes are used for steering do folks here see more frequent brake pad replacement because of this? Admittedly, being new with the airplane I'm not as adept as some at the new art of 'dancing on the brakes' to perfect steering an RV12.

You can drill the holes in the tow bar in one place to push against the brakes ("parking brake mode") and a different hole(s) to press against just the rudder pedal, and not the brake.

Difference in the two holes is an inch or so.

If you buy the gust lock specifically as an RV12 part, it comes with instructions for the drilling.

Wrap electrical tape around the places where metal touches.

If the gust lock leaves the brakes 'on' for a period can this cause damage to them?

Typically, do disc brakes for light airplanes have 'wear indicators' that will make a noise when they reach a certain point of wear?

Thanks!

Typically, do disc brakes for light airplanes have 'wear indicators' that will make a noise when they reach a certain point of wear?

Thanks!
No. You check wear by looking at them from the top. There is a little notch in the top of the pad. When the pad is worn away such that you can no longer see the notch, it is time to replace them.

Do not rely on the parking brake to keep your aircraft stationary for any significant period of time. Always carry and use a chock or two (PVC pipe works great for this) or fasten one or two tiedowns when parked. With its large vertical surfaces and pivoting nosewheel, the RV-12 is somewhat prone to weather-cocking when parked.

No. You check wear by looking at them from the top. There is a little notch in the top of the pad. When the pad is worn away such that you can no longer see the notch, it is time to replace them.

I checked the pads, there is still some notch showing but not a lot, but then I'm not sure how big a new notch is.

No leaks or anything out of the ordinary to explain the 'creaking' sound when brakes are engaged and slower response to brake application. The only thing I did differently was to start leaving the plane with the tow-bar/gust lock positioned against the brake part of the rudder pedals.