Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I am finally getting around to finishing my wheel pants after months of fun flying. For my EAB RV12, I added gear leg fairings. RV8 gear leg fairings work well and dress it up nicely. I am glad I made the modification. Not sure how much speed I will pick up, but they sure looks nice.

wp1.jpg

wp2.jpg

wp3.jpg

Taking them off and will get them painted over the next few weeks.

I also have the main gear fairings from an RV8. Where did you find the best spot to cut them down to size? Like how much from top and bottom? The aerodynamics people claim you will see a noticeable increase in speed.
Also I understand the top gear fairing does not fit well after the MLG SB has been applied, did that give you much trouble?

I also have the main gear fairings from an RV8. Where did you find the best spot to cut them down to size? Like how much from top and bottom? The aerodynamics people claim you will see a noticeable increase in speed.
Also I understand the top gear fairing does not fit well after the MLG SB has been applied, did that give you much trouble?

I think 17 in from the bottom side to fit my fairings. I have top gear fairings from South Africa (RV Bits). No issues after the SB on the gear legs.

http://rvbits.mybigcommerce.com/

Last edited:
Very Nice indeed.

Very nice buddy. You will definitely see a speed increase. But I'm afraid mine will
Still be faster.;)

Ditto. Should make me the fastest RV-12 in the Southern hemisphere. :D

Oh, @#@4!. Just remembered there's another one in South Africa with the same fairings. :(

Well, the fastest in Oz then .... :)

fastest in oz

how is your project going I have just spent a couple of days doing the landing gear udgrade nearly finished it and then off for a couple of weeks holidays up around northern nsw

how is your project going I have just spent a couple of days doing the landing gear udgrade nearly finished it and then off for a couple of weeks holidays up around northern nsw

Far too slow!! Full time job doesn't help, but the engine is in and I've just fitted the cowl. Rivet the cowl hinges on tomorrow and then the tailcone goes on for the rest of the controls and finishing off the wiring. Avionics, then a bit more plumbing on the engine, prop, wheel pants ..... and on it goes. Oh, and the fairings...
But it will definitely be flying `soon'.

Dave, no wonder I have not heard much out of you lately. Your two girlfriends are keeping you busy I see! Looks good.

Wheel paints paint

Dave, no wonder I have not heard much out of you lately. Your two girlfriends are keeping you busy I see! Looks good.

Dave I will be taking a flight to see Jim next week for paint! I am going with white paint and no other colors to get scratch up. :D

delivered to paint

Today I flew my wheel pants to D74 Chorman, DE. Jim Russell painted my RV12 will finally finish the painting now that the wheel paints are done.

It was a great day to fly and then stop and get some lunch on the way back.
Scott?s RV8 outside of Jim?s hanger next to my 12.

d74a.jpg

d74b.jpg

I hope to pick them up in a few weeks. :D

David, are the Vans RV8 gear leg fairings you used those for the flat style RV-8 main gear legs?

Rick.

Last edited:
David, are the Vans RV8 gear leg fairings you used those for the flat style RV-8A main gear legs?

Rick.

Rick correct - Fiberglass fairings for the RV-8 flat bar main gear legs. Just trim and go, I used Velcro instead of PIANO HINGE

Finally Done

Ok farmer ? here is the post you predicted ? LOL

I finally finished the wheel pants, I am glad I went with white only. I ended up not drilling and tapping the nose gear, but used Velcro and clamp on the nose gear fairing.

wheelpants-5.jpg

wheelpants-2.jpg

wheelpants-3.jpg

wheelpants-4.jpg

The RV8 gear legs fairings turned out better than I could imagined.

Time for Some Speed Runs!

Did you remember to give yourself a good gap around the tires so they wont scrape the fairing for those occasional low tire pressure landings.:eek: The darn thing is so bright I need sun glasses on even when looking at my computer screen.:cool: I think you enhance those photos before you post them.:p

Thanks guys its nice to have friends on the forum that appreciate craftsmanship! :rolleyes:

OK, credit goes to Jim Russel's Paint shop @ D74 Chorman DE. He did do a good job with fiberglass prep and painting. :D

Wheel Pants and Gear Leg Fairings

Have you noticed a difference in performance numbers with these additions to the aircraft?

Please publish if avialable.

Finished the gear leg fairings and flew for the first time today. Also added the nose leg fairing. My best guess is a 2 to 3 knot speed increase at 4900 - 5000 rpm at 2000' altitude and temps in the 70's. Very pleased with this mod. Used the Van's RV-8 flat style gear leg fairing and the RV Bits close out fairings (Cleaveland Tools). Thanks to Dave for posting his pictures. I'll try and post one of mine.

Rick

Last edited:
Is it possible to measure width perhaps, and be sure which end you cut off? I am seeing advantages of wacking off either end, but am not sure just what is best. How much did you allow the leg fairing to go into the wheel pant and fuse fairings? Any guidance of what not to do?

I think 17 in from the bottom side to fit my fairings. I have top gear fairings from South Africa (RV Bits). No issues after the SB on the gear legs.

http://rvbits.mybigcommerce.com/

How much did you allow the leg fairing to go into the wheel pant and fuse fairings? Any guidance of what not to do?

I cut from both ends and left about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inchs to fit in the upper and lower fairings. Sorry I don't remember much more.

Finished the gear leg fairings and flew for the first time today. Also added the nose leg fairing. My best guess is a 4 to 6 knot speed increase at 4900 - 5000 rpm at 2000' altitude and temps in the 70's. Very pleased with this mod. Used the Van's RV-8 flat style gear leg fairing and the RV Bits close out fairings (Cleaveland Tools). Thanks to Dave for posting his pictures. I'll try and post one of mine.

Rick

Love the paint. Can you tell me the type and colors...acryglo silver metallic?

The paint is PPG Urethane base coat/clear coat. The light color is PPG metallic "Silver Blue" and the dark color is PPG metallic "Long Beach Blue". A note about the gear leg fairings: Out of the box, the gear leg fairings are wider at the top so I decided to trim my main gear fairings from the bottom. This was a good choice for me as it provided more room and better clearance between the piano hinge and brake line aft of the gear leg.

Rick.

Finished the gear leg fairings and flew for the first time today. Also added the nose leg fairing. My best guess is a 2 to 3 knot speed increase at 4900 - 5000 rpm at 2000' altitude and temps in the 70's. Very pleased with this mod. Used the Van's RV-8 flat style gear leg fairing and the RV Bits close out fairings (Cleaveland Tools). Thanks to Dave for posting his pictures. I'll try and post one of mine.

Rick

OK, I'm about to order up the parts to do this too. Looks REALLY nice. Question: where did you order the NOSE gear fairing?

Also, Cleveland shows to be out of stock on their intersection fairings. I need to check with them and find out their lead time (coming from Africa). Has anyone used these RV-12 fairings? This company is located here locally (at 52F). http://www.buyplaneparts.com/rv-12-light-sport-aircraft-main-gear-fairings-set-of-4/

Thanks-

Last edited: