Dave12

Well Known Member
I just went through a painful calibration process and found that even though the fuel sender arm is bent right on the money as far as the manual goes, the Dynon is only showing 16 gallons. The last two pours showed no resistance change. Truthfully, I would rather have the error toward the top of the tank than at the bottom for obvious reasons. After the inspection I will tweek the arm when I install the Moeller. To future builders, save yourself a lot of trouble, install a groundwire and take it right to one of the AN3 tank mount bolts. I had mine gounded to the ELT mount plate screws and it was not sufficient. I am wondering if anyone else had this problem with their calibration?

Dont worry it is correct

Dave you did it correctly. Because of the tank design and float design it will only read 16 gals. At that point the float is stuck at the top of the tank and cannot move anymore. After you burn off 5gals you will see the 16 start to reduce.

And also the reason...

that the instructions do not have you continue the calibration past 16 gallons. I was confused by this at first as well until I realized the reasons behind it!

Jeff

Another note - -

The Moeller Marine mechanical gauge I chose, stops moving at about 18 gals. 18 gals moves the needle to the max. With a flat top tank, it would be impossible to get a mechanical gauge to read 100% perfect. I am totally happy I chose it, and have had no problems with it. I do fill up until I can see gas in the neck if going for a longer trip. I have never got a drop of leakage from it.

John Bender

We did this last week on our RV12, and we also did not get reading changes on our last and last pours.

So if your dynon reads 16Gallons you should read it as 16 or more, it will drop linear from 16 to below.

PS: in my RV7 with 2 wing tanks, and due to the fact that the one fuel meter sits in a different tank bay due to Flop Tube for inverted flight, my top end of scales on the Dynon is different between left and right.

PPS: Extra Ground wire is good idea in any case, some builders had issues.