It took 888 hours for me to get the -12 to flying status. 40+ of those hours included filling the pulled rivit holes and sanding the excess away. I beburred every hole and every edge, some builders of the -12 choose not to do that. After getting the AW cert I added lights, helped with painting, added an oil thermostat, customized the fuel tank, and other custom features that added another 200-300 hours.

The advertised numbers are very close.

The airplane building process is challenging, a lot of fun, and very satisfying. No need for it to be a race, enjoy it.

Last edited:
Hi Jack,

I figure it will take me about 900-1000 hours. I just finished the stabilator today, and together with the fin, rudder and antiservo tabs (AST), I'm up to 135 hours so far. It's a lot of fun, but I wish it wasn't so hot - 43degC (110degF) in the shed today. The beer was cold though.

Robert

Jack - -

Including paint - 1,000 hours. Another 100 - 200 hours on mods after inspection for things I wanted. Us early builder also had to find the problems, and correct them. I'm guessing 100 hours was used up doing that. Electrical issues etc had to be found and corrected. Kits now should go much faster. 600 - 900 hours is very reasonable. Those who primed everything inside will have more time for sure. I know the S-19 takes longer to build because you have to drill lots of holes. The early builders have found most of the 'issues', and it is a good plane. Get a ride in one for sure.

John Bender

First time builder

with a helper (also first time) for about half the time. We logged almost 1400 hours in the hangar over a 14 month period, at least 200 of which were inventorying kits, building work tables, unbuilding tabes to create more room, etc. Figure another 200 hours talking to people who dropped in "to see how it's going", eating lunch and just BS, so I figure we were right at 1000 hours. A fair amount of that was "OK, what do YOU think they mean here" but almost no time re-making parts or ordering new ones so that probably balamced out. If you know what you're doing and have no distractions 800-900 hours would be reasonable. A first time builder should plan closer to 1000.

Wayne 120241 flying as 143WM

Jack

I was a first time builder as well. Mine took about 950 hours- that included lights, autopilot, and the full interior kit. I also deburred every hole. That did not include any exterior paint prep, as I am having it professionally painted.

Jeff

I guess I am REALLY slow....

because I am at 1490 hours and have not yet flown. I counted EVERY hour spent associated with the project. Deburred everything. Primed everything. Installed optional kits - lighting, autopilot, wheel pants. Includes paint prep and painting, moving parts back and forth to paint shop, etc.

First time builder, had to learn all the new skills (fun!) Early builder, spent a lot of time scratching head and communicating on this forum. Meticulous by nature - read that "anal."

Enjoyed 99% of the process. Was only ready to throw in the towel once - longeron bending. Get help if you haven't done it before.

Could probably build a second one in half the time.

Dive on in - the water's fine!

Beat you ;-)

I'm just under 1800 hours, and hope to fly mine early in January. Just one more taxi test and an adjustment of the idle speed down from 1800 rpm to 1600 rpm.

What surprised me was I have spent 200 hours at the airport, after the aircraft build was complete.

Happy New Year everone when it arrives. I'll probably be at the big Hogmanay Party in Edinburgh. Thanks to the very many forum people who have provided advice and help over the last 18 months.

Cheers...Keith

PS I have not counted the many happy hours spent reading this forum. Well worth a few dollars per year to our site benefactor.

Thanks to everyone who posted here as the info provided was always more useful than just getting 'the number'.

Now to see what we think when we look at the various LSA's and the -12 at Sebring.

Jack