Geico266

Well Known Member
I read in another thread where someone damaged the side skins when the tried to install the wings. They slid the spar into the side skin hole. Evidently, it will start okay, but the large rivets close to the 1st rib interfere with the hole we cut out per plans.

1. Has anyone fit the wings yet? Thoughts? Any suggestions?

2. Can you report to us behind you some dimensions of the rectangle hole you ended up with? Take the measurements from the rivet line on either side of the hole. Please report measuremets of boths sides. Thanks!

I would like to "precut / pre-enlarge" these hole before I fit the wings.

As always, any other tips greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey Larry, the post you read,(and in fact posted in), is on the bottom of page 2. (section 30- wing install). I'm not computer savvy enough to put in the link. Hope thats what your looking for. Marcus.

I read in another thread where someone damaged the side skins when the tried to install the wings. They slid the spar into the side skin hole. Evidently, it will start okay, but the large rivets close to the 1st rib interfere with the hole we cut out per plans.

1. Has anyone fit the wings yet? Thoughts? Any suggestions?

2. Can you report to us behind you some dimensions of the rectangle hole you ended up with? Take the measurements from the rivet line on either side of the hole. Please report measuremets of boths sides. Thanks!

I would like to "precut / pre-enlarge" these hole before I fit the wings.

As always, any other tips greatly appreciated.

Larry,

I did enlarge the holes...front side as far as it would go and aft side another quarter of an inch. The skin around that hole is too thin...if you catch a rivet or just turn it the wrong way, it just rips. They have to go in exactly perfect...have someone stand by the hole in case the spar tilts. I won't be taking mine off and and a whole lot to say the least.

Whoa! That seems like alot! You mean you opened it up about 1/2"?

Little less but what does it matter? Those slots are never seen with the wings on...they dont support anything except the track while you install...worked fine for me.

Check before you install the side skins

I had read a post by Marty that there was a clearance problem with the side skins. After I cut the slot, but before I installed the skins, I slid it on the spar. There was a problem so I corrected it. It was easy fitting the skin over the spar. Much easier than waiting.