First Kit?

Does this now become the "first kit" like the other models or will the preferred order still be wings, fuse, empennage, etc.? Does it matter given how much easier the RV-12 is to build?

Hope to be ordering soon either way.

Does this now become the "first kit" like the other models or will the preferred order still be wings, fuse, empennage, etc.? Does it matter given how much easier the RV-12 is to build?

Hope to be ordering soon either way.

It is my understanding that the empennage kit was to be done before the fuselage kit. The wings can be done any time, before or after those.

Empennage/tail cone kit first

I just talked to vans yesterday and am faxing them an order today, I wanted to start with the wings but they suggested the empennage first, along with the fastener kit. I have helped a friend put a rivet or 2 in his RV7 and am very excited to start on the 12. :)

I just talked to vans yesterday and am faxing them an order today, I wanted to start with the wings but they suggested the empennage first, along with the fastener kit. I have helped a friend put a rivet or 2 in his RV7 and am very excited to start on the 12. :)

Good, so it is official: Do the enpennage first. Cheaper too :)

--Bill

Perfect! Just what I needed to hear.

I plan to pick up the tail kit as soon as it is available and will stop working on the fuselage and start on that kit and report on progress with that.

another kit coming on-line

I wonder if the empennage kit will go up in price on January 1, 2009? :confused: Since space in my 2 car garage is at a premium, even if I ordered kit #3 next week I would like to know size of crate(s). Also would need to know if inventory on empennage kit could be delayed a few months till I finish fuselage kit.

I hope to start fuselage kit today. Anyone to venture a guess if fuselage kit will be longer or shorter build time than wing kit? :confused: So very many parts I'm guessing it'll take longer than wing kit.

question for Jim Cone

I plan to pick up the tail kit as soon as it is available and will stop working on the fuselage and start on that kit and report on progress with that.

Jim- is there a specific reason you plan to move to the tail before finishing the fuselage? I ask because for those of us with fuselages coming and who do not plan to order the tail kit right now, is there some problem with finishing the fuselage first or something that makes it preferable to finish the tail first? I had not planned on ordering the tail for mine until I was close to completion of the fuselage kit.

Price of Kits

I wonder if the empennage kit will go up in price on January 1, 2009? :confused: Since space in my 2 car garage is at a premium, even if I ordered kit #3 next week I would like to know size of crate(s). Also would need to know if inventory on empennage kit could be delayed a few months till I finish fuselage kit.

I hope to start fuselage kit today. Anyone to venture a guess if fuselage kit will be longer or shorter build time than wing kit? :confused: So very many parts I'm guessing it'll take longer than wing kit.

I would be very surprised if a kit price given for issue on 12th November 2008 would have a price increase approx 6 weeks later.

answer to my own question ...

I just spoke to Van's (missing a couple nuts and bolts & 2 seat back stiffeners in fuselage kit) and learned the empennage kit will be 2 boxes. The first box (cardboard) is 18"X15"X14", will weigh less than 5 lbs. and be shipped FedEx or similar. The second box (crate) will be 114"X39"X10" and under 200 lbs.

As far as the 30 day time limit for inventory, they said they would be able to work with me, since I wouldn't plan to open the crate till I was finished with the fuselage kit ... a few months from now ... I guess.

I'm still not certain if the empennage kit price will increase 1/1/09.

I just disassembled the crate the wing spars arrived in several months ago. What a job. I desperately needed the space. Now I'm too tired to start working on my fuselage kit today. Maybe tomorrow! :)

Hi Jerry- I'm about half way through the fuselage kit and I've ordered the the tail kit. As you read through the fuse kit plans, you'll see that about two thirds of the way through, you'll need to build at least the tailcone from the empanage kit, so you can finish the fuselage. Steve

Jim- is there a specific reason you plan to move to the tail before finishing the fuselage? I ask because for those of us with fuselages coming and who do not plan to order the tail kit right now, is there some problem with finishing the fuselage first or something that makes it preferable to finish the tail first? I had not planned on ordering the tail for mine until I was close to completion of the fuselage kit.

As Steve said, the fuselage kit was designed to be built after the empennage and tail cone. If you build the fuselage first, you have to skip several steps until the tail cone is finished. If I build the tail kit, then I can just follow the plans for the fuselage and not worry about skipping anything.