Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I am building an RV12 as an Experimental Amateur built (EAB). I am keeping it as close to the ELSA builders plans even though it is an EAB. I am using my current avionics and Rotex from my light sport.

Does anyone have any pictures of their EAB built rv12 panel? I am installing in my current Grand Rapids (2 displays), Garmin Stack, the new Garmin 796, Trio auto pilot with Alt hold, and a Zion PCAS.

I am also looking for any other suggestions you did as a EAB or wish you had done to the plane, but couldn?t due to the ELSA restrictions.

Working on the wing kit now and fuselage comes in Oct.

Thank you

[email protected]

Last edited:
Check the sticky post on modifications. You will see lots of ideas.

You can search for all these mods in the forum.

The fuel tank sits on top of one baggage floor cover and in front of the rear bulkhead cover. You will want to split these so you can remove the covers and never have to remove the tank.

You might want a E-AB tank that does not take so much room in the baggage compartment.

Add an electric fuel pump switch.

Canopy lock.

There is an aftermarket canopy front piece that eliminates your having to do the hand layup - available at the Viking engine site.

You might want to do a cowl mod and incorporate the optional Rotax alternator for more amps.

Will you use Vertical Power for your electrical distribution?

Electric trim in the stick grip.

Shoot - Garmin 430s and 530s are coming on the secondary market as people upgrade to the newer ones. Put one in and be IFR! (You might also need heated pitot with might require that extra alternator - not sure about the power budget.

Run two extra wires to the wing tips. One is to switch the strobes separately from the nav lights (the current plans have those combined) and the other is to connect the two tip strobes so they will stay in synch.

Does Grand Rapids support an AOA probe? I would most definitely do that if it does! You can get a quick-disconnect for the wing root. I would also get a static port from AC Spruce rather than the rivet-with-hole-all-the-way-through.

Lots of other ideas in the forum - have fun browsing! These are off the top of my head.

Oh yeah - plumb for a fuel drain right under the tank - one that exits through a hole in one of the inspection covers. Unless you go with the other type of tank.

A Moeller fuel gauge, added seat connectors to move the seat forward and a parking brake were things I added in addition to the others already mentioned. I too am keeping my airframe as close to plans as I can.

RV 12 panel

get-attachment.aspx

Here is a picture of the panel we are working on.

dual GRT 8.4" sport sx
GRT EIS for Jabiru 3300
Garmin sl40
Garmin gtx327
Klixon circuit breakers
Flightcom 403 lsa intercom
Rockrack switches

laminating the panel with a carbon fiber laminate.

get-attachment.aspx

Here is a picture of the panel we are working on.

dual GRT 8.4" sport sx
GRT EIS for Jabiru 3300
Garmin sl40
Garmin gtx327
Klixon circuit breakers
Flightcom 403 lsa intercom
Rockrack switches

laminating the panel with a carbon fiber laminate.

That link no worky :(

Upload pictures to Picasa

orenjr,
Others can not log onto AOL to see your picture. The picture needs to be uploaded to a picture sharing website like Picasa. Then post the link.
Joe Gores

No AOA probe required

Does Grand Rapids support an AOA probe? I would most definitely do that if it does! You can get a quick-disconnect for the wing root.

Hi Bill,

The GRT EFIS has an angle of attack indicator but does not use a probe or port on the airframe to calculate the AOA. The GRT EFIS uses the airdata/AHRS sensors to determine the angle of attack. This is a derived angle of attack. No probes, no ports, but it is free and you don't need quick disconnects. ;)

As a suggestion for the GRT EFIS AOA to be most beneficial I suggest a remote indicator that mounts on the glare shield like this one:

http://www.vx-aviation.com/page_2.html#V-Speed Auxiliary Display System

The remote indicator wires into the GRT EFIS and provides the AOA indication where you want it most, in your field of view while preparing to land.

Best regards,

Carlos Fernandez
Sales & Support
GRT Avionics

Thanks for the quick response from everyone!

Bill ? I have plans on the electric fuel switch, canopy lock, looking into Viking Canopy front piece and planning on Vertical power with the GRT?s. I have 2 Infinity Military Grips with enough switches I would need. I am already planning on putting in 2 extra wires in plastic wiring conduit for the wings. Good idea for the fuel drain.

Tim - I don?t have an aol account to view the link http://mail.aol.com/34122-111/aol-6/...wMail&partId=3 for the panel.

Does anyone have the dimensions for the panel?

I just got off the phone with Carlos @ GRT and he was very helpful with my avionics and this build. GRT is has provide me top notch service over the years. Carlos I like your suggestion for the AOA. You most likely didn?t tie this thread to me or my plane.

This is one of the reasons I went with the RV12 is the RV community. Thank you again for the ideas.

[email protected]

Oh yes - also you might consider making the passenger stick removable. AND you definitely want to make the engine controls NOT have to be fully removed just to take off the center panel piece! There are some posts about both of these things.

I have a question. When departing from the plans and going EAB, would it not be proper to NOT call it an lRV12 any longer? Somehow I would think Vans would prefer it to be called anything else. Has this been addressed anywhere previously?

It's your call!

On amateur-built, it's your call. Don't see why Van would care. He's not named as builder on amateur-built. Most other RVs are modified and yet still called RV-X.

Sonex for example has strong feelings against calling it a Sonex if you put another engine in it (for example the corvair powered one was strongly encouraged to call it something else, so it became the Cleanex..

EAB

I plan on using my experimental lsa

I had a E-lsa and did the same after talking to many towers - that was the general consensus. With my current S-Lsa I use light sport 25Dv

Last edited: