aallard

I wanted to share my latest side-project...

I?m building a custom trailer for my RV-12. Overall dimensions are 24? long, 8?6? wide, and 9? tall. This is a tandem-axel and fully enclosed trailer. The enclosed portion of the trailer is 20? long, and is made from a one-piece custom fiberglass mold. The shell is white gelcoat (similar to a boat). The rear door of the trailer is hinged and drops down to become the loading ramp.

I?m using aluminum channel as wheel guides for all three wheels on the ramp and floor, with an electric winch to pull the airplane in (via custom towbar attachment). Trailer walls will be padded with wing hangers and straps on both sides, two overhead dome lights, and in-floor tie-down points. There is also 50-gallon fuel tank in the front of the trailer with filler hose and electric pump.

I wanted this trailer to be my RV hanger, and to be something nice enough (worthy enough) to be the RV?s home. I don?t yet know what the final cost will be (I suspect it will be around 15% of the finished plane cost), but when you look at the price of an RV and associated hanger storage fees, I feel its worth quite a bit, and will ensure a safe and long lifespan for my new baby.

My rationale for doing this is protecting my investment, making my life easy, and saving money on total cost of ownership over the lifespan of the airplane. Conversely, not doing something like this, in my opinion, would be the equivalent of buying a $5,000 guitar, but then deciding not to buy the $800 case for it.

I will have pictures coming in the near future as the parts begin to come together?

Eagle's Nest Trailer?

I wanted to share my latest side-project...
I?m building a custom trailer for my RV-12. Overall dimensions are 24? long, 8?6? wide, and 9? tall. This is a tandem-axel and fully enclosed trailer. The enclosed portion of the trailer is 20? long, <snip>

Adam,

Eagle's Nest Projects is very interested in your progress - not so much for use as a hangar, but as a means of transporting (with signage) Eagle's Nest projects to businesses and city facilities within a 25 mile radius of the high school where project was completed. Eagle's Nest projects are an engaging and inspiring source of personal and school pride for the students, faculty, and local school district, and we want to take that pride to the nest level - the local community. Picture if you will an Eagle's Nest RV-12 painted in school colors with the wings on parked in front of City Hall, the local library, Wal-Mart, local bank, County Fair, etc. and alongside the student-builders answering questions. Got the picture? Aviation in partnership with public education and the community... Eagle's Nest Projects!

You may want to double check the length of the fuselage. I may be wrong and others will be able to confirm, but I read some time ago that the overall length including pitot tube was 250" or about 20'-10". It would a pity if you were short by a few inches.

Rgmwa, thanks. Yes, I've made sure that the pitot tube length will fit. I've accommodated that 20' 10" with room to spare. There is a forward compartment for general storage, and that holds the 50 gallon fuel tank. When I was talking about the enclosed area being 20' long, I meant the divided off primary space for the plane itself. The overall area inside the shell is 24'. The trailer length (including the hitch) is 32'.

I think that is a really great idea, and such a trailer would make it so easy to accomplish!

Adam,

Eagle's Nest Projects is very interested in your progress - not so much for use as a hangar, but as a means of transporting (with signage) Eagle's Nest projects to businesses and city facilities within a 25 mile radius of the high school where project was completed. Eagle's Nest projects are an engaging and inspiring source of personal and school pride for the students, faculty, and local school district, and we want to take that pride to the nest level - the local community. Picture if you will an Eagle's Nest RV-12 painted in school colors with the wings on parked in front of City Hall, the local library, Wal-Mart, local bank, County Fair, etc. and alongside the student-builders answering questions. Got the picture? Aviation in partnership with public education and the community... Eagle's Nest Projects!

I have seen cell pics of another small transport trailer. Can't post them yet, the RV-12 owner is getting DAR sign off hopefully this week. The trailer sits on the ground with its wheels "retracted." The plane is rolled onto it, can be pulled on with a crank/cable like a boat trailer. Then you pull a big lever arm which puts the trailer wheels down. Hope to post pics soon!

Great

Finally, some 'trailer' progress. Can't wait to see the pictures and hear how it travels. Please follow up at your convenience. Curious if you are getting some design or w&b help from a trailer manufacturer??? This is really good news!:cool: