meadeduck

Well Known Member
Since we've installed the cooling shroud for the radiator, we're having a lot of problems getting the cowling to fit. We've got the radiator on in the front and it's resting against the muffler so I took it off and reinstalled the cowl but we're still having the same issues. It fits fine before we put the shroud on. Also, the cowl is now rubbing against the back of the spinner and we're noticing that the muffler is further aft on the tailpipe side and the #4 exhaust pipe is not secure in it's placement in the muffler. (it is not pulled in very tight.)
Anyone with similar problems?
Meade and George

Since we've installed the cooling shroud for the radiator, we're having a lot of problems getting the cowling to fit. We've got the radiator on in the front and it's resting against the muffler so I took it off and reinstalled the cowl but we're still having the same issues. It fits fine before we put the shroud on. Also, the cowl is now rubbing against the back of the spinner and we're noticing that the muffler is further aft on the tailpipe side and the #4 exhaust pipe is not secure in it's placement in the muffler. (it is not pulled in very tight.)
Meade and George

I don't have the answers, but I am now doing the finish kit and was wondering if it would be adviseable to delay doing the cowl work until the engine is installed. Those that have gone before will surely have an opinion on this.
Tony

Meade and George

Question...When you bonded the duct to the lower cowl half did you reinstall the entire cowl on the airplane with all of the cowl pins and screws while the adhesive cured?

Question...When you bonded the duct to the lower cowl half did you reinstall the entire cowl on the airplane with all of the cowl pins and screws while the adhesive cured?

No, it was off the plane.

I think we have found the problem. The instructions are pretty clear to install the coweling after "glueing" with all screws and pins installed so the resin can cure with everything in place. I would think you could just rework the areas that are tight.

Last edited:
I don't have the answers, but I am now doing the finish kit and was wondering if it would be advisable to delay doing the cowl work until the engine is installed. Those that have gone before will surely have an opinion on this.
Tony

Hi Tony,

I held off on the cowl until the engine was in place just to assure that the spinner had the same clearance on all sides and that it was centered. You only need the spinner back plate to do that.

In my case with the cowl cut and sanded to the scribe line the top half was to close to the spinner and we had to take about 1/16 more off of the rear of the top half to get square and the correct gap. Be sure to leave adequate gap between the firewall and the cowl for paint. We used the width of a standard hack saw blade to set the space all around which works well, this is also required on the side hinges.

Getting the side hinge lines straight and matched takes some care.

Best regards,

Vern