Driftdown

Well Known Member
During hot summer days, how effective is the cockpit cooling during ground taxi and in-flight?
Where are the sources for fresh air?
Any tricks to keeping it cooler on the ground and airborne? I have noticed, a overhead shade can be installed/ordered with the airplane.

During cold winter days, how effective is the cockpit heating during ground taxi and in-flight?
Where are the heating sources located? Any tricks there also?

I am researching LSA's and appreciate all comments from operators.
Thank you in advance for your comments. :)

I live in Phoenix. In summer I taxi with a 1 X 2 block under the canopy skirt to get some air flow, but it is toasty. In the air the vents will keep you comfortable.

The cabin heat is OK, but I have only used it to 45F. I think it would be anemic in a Midwestern winter.

The side vents are very effective in flight. On the ground you can set the canopy on its handle, holds it up about 3 inches. A passenger can hold it higher. The heater puts out moderately warmish air, not hot air. there is a mod for an adjustable baffle, see the mods thread. The Koger sunshade is a necessity! Also carry a couple of the Walmart stick-on thin plastic squares.

For the upstate New York winters I cover half of the oil cooler, and half of the radiator. That's the only way to get the engine up to a good operating temperature and produce significant heat from the heater. Make your cover plate so that it blocks the airflow through the top half of the radiator, where normally that heat is lost overboard. I have pictures somewhere in my Kitlog.

We're having a stretch of cold clear weather and I'm trying to make the most of it. I'm having a big problem with the air blasting in, under and around the canopy shell. Most seems to be coming under the forward edge, striking the transverse stiffener, and then blasts down the face of the instrument panel. And, of course, the two corners.

I've used several rolls of Home Depot weather stripping of assorted shapes and sizes without any real success. I gonna try another batch this morning.

I sure hope Vans doesn't release their weather stripping kit next July......

Next --

I'm not a fan of warmer temps - even here in the PNW - so I wish the air vents were larger - I usually have both open max during the summer.

Bob Bogash
N737G

RV-12 flying during Florida summers

Any Florida RV-12 owners out there?
I sure hope so.

Question:
Does the fresh air ventilation do an "acceptable" job of keeping the cockpit hospitable in the summer months?

I don't expect miracles, but if the conditions are miserable, why even bother with the RV-12 down here.

I love the airplane, but I have serious concerns about that aspect. :cool:

.........And, of course, the two corners.
I've used several rolls of Home Depot weather stripping of assorted shapes and sizes without any real success."..............

Bob Bogash
N737G

Bob,

I had to experiment with a lot of different weather stripping materials and sizes. The most challenging spots are the two corners. Still working on those after two years! Those openings where the hinge bolts reside seem to work like a couple of NACA scoops! If anyone has come up with a good solution for those two areas I would sure like to hear about it.

John

That's Good News!

Bill H., thanks for that. I had missed that thread. I also didn't know about the Van's weather-stripping kit. At this point I will wait for that before making any more attempts at a good seal at the corners.

John

When I did the fiberglass around the canopy I had a problem with it hanging up on the edge of the avionics bay fairing, so I extended the edges. I solved the problem of interference, but made it impossible to take off the avionics bay fairing without removing the canopy. Since I have very little airflow coming in I may have inadvertently avoided the air leakage issue.