AKAV8R

I'm New Here
Can anyone speak as to whether or not light aerobatics are possible in a RV-12? If not, why? G loads, LSA status, etc.

Thanks,

Adam

I think there was a mention of this on a thread in the RV12 forum that specifically said that LSAs are prohibited from acro in general.

LSA status

I don't think LSA has any specific restrictions on aerobatics, as long as the plane and pilot are within their own op and LSA legal limits. (I recollect some LSA folks flying the Sonex in Sportsman class competitions I think?)

I think there was a mention of this on a thread in the RV12 forum that specifically said that LSAs are prohibited from acro in general.

Not arguing...and I'm looking -- but I'd be interested to see the source.

EDIT: Here is a thread on the OP's topic: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=34955

EDIT 2: As far as I can tell, LSA = Aerobatics OK, but see the rules. RV-12 = Aerobatics prohibited. The thread above is a good read, and there are others. (I've been looking more into the LSA options myself...as my better half is becoming possibly interested in flying...but she would be best served by the LSA route we think.)

Last edited:
There is nothing within light-sport rules prohibiting aerobatics.
The RV-12 on the other hand IS prohibited from aerobatics by the designer. Your operating limitations should also address this.
If you need another reason, typically "stabilators" do not fair well with aerobatic loads.

Hmm... even seems if it were equipped, you were rated, and plane not prohibited, you can fly IFR in an S-LSA too... (Well, could.)

I suppose you could do the same thing in the RV-12 as EAB and using the unrestricted S engine vs UL.

Sorry, random tangent.

Stabilators

There is nothing within light-sport rules prohibiting aerobatics.
The RV-12 on the other hand IS prohibited from aerobatics by the designer. Your operating limitations should also address this.
If you need another reason, typically "stabilators" do not fair well with aerobatic loads.

Not arguing the RV-12 point, but the Beechcraft BE-23 (Musketeer / Sport) is factory certified for aerobatics (+6 / -3) and has a stabilator.

Not arguing the RV-12 point, but the Beechcraft BE-23 (Musketeer / Sport) is factory certified for aerobatics (+6 / -3) and has a stabilator.

That's why I said "typically". There ARE exceptions. If you look at how the stabilator is attached to the RV-12, I think you will agree that it was not designed with aerobatics in mind.

Yeah, but who'd want one of those. ;-)

Hey - upsidedown is upsidedown.:D

With the BE-23, it may take 2X as long to get there and use 2X the fuel to do it. But I can take 2 passengers and 3 suitcases! ;) Try that in an RV-6!

Mel - I agree. RV-12 is a right side up cruiser - but if I didn't point it out, somebody else would have. Can't let that happen.

Can anyone speak as to whether or not light aerobatics are possible in a RV-12? If not, why? G loads, LSA status, etc.

Thanks,

Adam

No PLEASE DON'T DO IT, it is not designed for it and is prohibited.

Light Aeros can turn into Hard Aeros if you get it slightly wrong, then you have no G-Margin left. Aerobatic airplanes should be rated to 6G which the RV12 is not. RV12 is rated for utility loading only.

If you want to do aeros find an airplane that CAN do it and is rated for it.

Kind Regards
Rudi

My RV6 is cleared in the UK for aeros now and I have to have the placard 'Intentional spinning prohibited'. Just seems a bit strange...

Our experienced RV-6A/7A builder here at the shop commented yesterday about how all of the structure of our -12 kit is SOOO much lighter and thinner than the typical RV. It was designed to have a very light empty weight to allow a generous useful load under 1320 lbs max gross. It's definitely NOT overbuilt like the other, aerobatic RV's.

Thanks,

Adam

That's sounds like a great RV-14. LSA, single place acro mount, may be based off the RV-3 fuse!

Brian