MSFT-1

Well Known Member
I have an RV-8 that I have been flying for the last four years. I am getting ready to sell it and take the plunge and purchase a flying RV-10 (I have a very understanding wife).

In the RV-8 (0-360 + C/S Hartzell) the CG is pretty far forward. I typically have 20 lbs of "stuff" behind the rear seat. I also notice that full fuel makes the nose even heavier.

Can someone with a reasonable number of RV-10 hours comment on the W&B / CG of the airplane (260 Lyc+ C/S Hartzell) ? I am interested in how it flys with one person, two people, four people, full fuel, minimum fuel etc.

Do you carry ballast in some flight conditions?

How careful do you have to be about properly distributing people and baggage?

How is the RV-10 in light to moderate turbulence? I have heard that an RV-6 can absolutely rattle your teeth lose but my RV-8 has always been pretty tame in most conditions?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce
N297NW
RV-8

Bruce, scroll down to the thread titled "heavy stick" or some such.

Most of your questions are answered there.

If you put on your thinking cap for a bit, you will understand that the 8, and the 10, both need to have a forward C/G in solo configuration. This is so that when you put people and baggage in the back, you dont go out of the rear C/G.

I fly with a friend in his RV10 quite often.

When it is just the two of us, he carries one or two bags of led shot in the baggage (25 lb each). This makes the plane easier to land correctly and also will make the plane fly faster (more efficient) by giving a more balanced CG.

Kent