ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
On Saturday I flew up to Driggs Idaho from Salt Lake City with a 1977 Turbo 210. This was my first time I had flown with any plane other than an RV. Well, that is not true, I flew to Bear Lake once with a Super Cub but didn't really ever get a speed comparision, I will just say it is about alot!! I had the RV-10 fully loaded (full fuel, 4 people). Of course the RV-10 out climbs the 210 but didn't really do any comparison there.
I did some sight seeing and let him get away from me while we were climbing and then spotted him about 1 mile in front of us. We were both at 10,500 ft. I had the RV-10 at 19.2 inches, 2360 RPM burning 12.5 gph and our ground speed was 171 knots when his was 163 knots. The 210 was burning 18.5 gph and he had four people in the plane as well. Once I caught him, I flew at 18.0 inches to fly formation (12 gph). He was pretty impressed with the RV-10.

It really is cool what this plane does. We flew up to Driggs ID. again for some breakfast. This time I had the orange french toast. It was great.

Lots of planes out on a pretty day like Saturday. There were Husky's, an Extra and even an Albatross.

143202973-L.jpg

143202067-L.jpg

143223956-L.jpg

Last edited:
Yes but!!!

Scott, not really a fair test... Let him go up to 15-17K and then you try to keep up with him at TAS :)... Even higher and he'll win everytime... And then calc the fuel over time and it will get much closer to similar than you think :)...

But, hey, it's always fun to compare and contrast... 210's have to be one of my favorite airplanes... They just look cool with no struts and a high wing especially when the gear is up and they are cruising.... Nice pictures too btw...

Your right, I did mention that he would be faster up high in an e-mail that I put on the Matronics list but forgot to add that here, but maybe not on the flight that we did. Our flight was just about 1 hour and I would bet by the time he climbed to 17k and then had to slowly cool the engine on the decent the RV-10 would still be ahead.

I agree, the 210 is a great plane, one of Cessna's finest.

Just thought it was a fun comparison at 10,500ft.

The High cost of High...

Scott,
Having alot of time in a Turbo 210 (Riley intercooled)with a missionary aviation organization, I too can sing it's praises. It truly is a wonderful airplane. However comma, it comes at a price. Insurance, maintenence, AD's, 337's, O2 systems, annual inspections and 2 stuck landing gear (up) over the years make me a true believer in fixed gear experimental airplanes. For most private owners 90% of "normal" flying is below 12.5K. Unless you fly in Peru or the Andes alot and have someone else paying the bills, a turbo isn't cost effective.

BTW, bolt a mooney turbo IO-540 on the RV-10 and you could give him a better run, but the C-210T @20K could be up there with mo stuff and go further and faster! My favorite 4 place single though will, always be the Cessna 180...

Me, I'll stick with my Harmon Rocket, I can't stay rightside up long enough for a C-210 anymore! :)

Rob Ray