KatanaPilot

Well Known Member
I recently purchased a quick build RV-10 fuselage that was damaged in a transport accident from the factory. I had someone inspect (as best they could) the fuselage before I agreed to buy. There was visible damage to the firewall and the forward side skins, which I expected. Once I received the crates, I discovered some additional damage to the mid side skins and the left upper longeron. Unfortunately, today I discovered further damage - the belly skins all need replacement, as well. Although one of the three might be repairable, the damage exceeds my tolerance.

My original plan was to replace the side skin and firewall, essentially one at a time. It appeared I could do that without disassembling much of the fuselage.

I assume the RV-10 fuselage is assembled in "modules", with the associated skins installed near the end of the module assembly. Given the need to replace all of the skins, I suspect the proper way to do the repairs is to break it back down into those original modules, replace the skins and then reassemble.

My other choice is to send the wing carry through structure (I have a spare from the wings I bought) and other high dollar items back to Van's and see if they will build another QB fuselage. I don't need any of the "loose" items (like the upper fuselage fiberglass), as they all survived intact. I have plenty of other work to do so I can wait for the QB fuselage to be built. I have asked Van's if they can/will do this as an option for me to consider.

So my question is - has anyone on this forum ever attempted a repair like this on an RV-10 or other pre-punched RV and if so, what is your advice as to how to proceed?

Thanks much,

Krea Ellis

I have been involved in at least 2 RV-10 repairs where the firewall had to be replaced. From the sound of it, I would have the insurance company replace the whole QB fuselage. You're dealing with damaged goods on a new plane, which I would not accept. Drilling out a bunch of rivets will only serve to make things weaker. I would want a new fuse.

Thanks for the advice. I did not buy the fuselage from Van's - I bought it from the folks that bought it from the insurance company. I understand your concerns regarding the repairs. I also know that metal airplanes are repaired everyday and if done properly, seem to be as strong as the original.

Post some pictures of the damage. Or, load it on a trailer or in the back of a truck and drive it down to Ocala and I'll look over it with you and offer some suggestions.

Closer option

Since you are close to Mallards Landing I would look up VIC SYRACUSE and have him make an assessment. Not that Jesse can't do it but VIC would be closer

Gary Specketer

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to fly out to Portland and talk to Van's directly. I expect I will probably go with a new build fuselage.

Krea Ellis