rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
For all you QB kit owners, here are a few tips on fitting the tank senders since tanks are already assembled:

My vent lines interfered with the floats so I had to use a wooden dowel inserted through the sender hole to massage (bend) it out of the way about 3/8 inch. Bonanza did not shape the tube as per Van's drawing.

Using a small, bright LED flashlight, shining through the pickup fitting hole and alternately drain fitting hole, you can move the float with a piece of welding rod and observe clearance to the tank structure inside. You can also see through one sender screw hole, the upper travel of the float and arm for clearance to the vent tube and stiffener. It's like doing laproscopy I suspect. I had the assembly out 8 times to tweak the bends but finally got it.

The manual seems to assume a non- QB with the tank not stuck together permanently. Hope this helps. Can be done, just takes a while.

I was also able to fit return fittings to my tanks by building a special tool and seals so this job can be done as well with some thought on QB tanks.

Last edited:
Ross,
Did you put in one of the 6 port fuel selectors? We just finished running the return fuel lines out to the wings. Fitting all the filters, pumps, pressure regulator and the return lines in the tunnel was a challenge. Did you get yours installed yet?

Yep, have the 6 port Andair installed with the maze of lines. Fun, fun. Four fuel pumps (2 high, 2 low) plus the return lines and filters. It all fits but very time consuming.