MichRV10

Well Known Member
Got my plane IFR certified yesterday and all went well. Got with my instructor and I'm current with my I ticket. Have most of the GRT figured out but with so much that it will do I still have alot to learn. The 10 is a great IFR platform.

JIm

Hi. I am based in South Africa. In SA we still have the problem that no NTCA/homebuilt aircraft are allowed to fly IFR. We are busy trying to change that with the local aviation authority - CAA. What did you have to do to get your RV10 IFT certified ? I am busy having a RV10 built and would like to fly it IF one day.

Simple

Experimentals are not "certified IFR" in the USA per see, you as the builder actually determine when YOu determine it meets the instrument requirements for flight into IMC as far as having the right instruments.

The only other "certification" is a Pitot-static calibration and 30 day error check of the VOR antenna.

Other than that your good to go.

Frank

When I first read this thread, I was also confused as to what Jim was actually saying. Certified and Experimental is kind of an oxymoron. I just assumed he had the 24 month Transponder/static system (no requirement to test/certify the pitot system) signed off. The Transponder/static system and VOR, if any, --and the appropriate instruments are the only things required to operate and experimental under IFR--IMC or not.

After reading my post I guess I was a little confusing. Monday I had my static system, Altimeter and encoder certified for IFR. After the Cert. I flew with my instructor to get myself current. For a total of 6 hrs total, not all in one day, with my instructor I'm back in the saddle again. When I installed the insturments I installed all the required backup insturments.

MichRV10 said:
After reading my post I guess I was a little confusing. Monday I had my static system, Altimeter and encoder certified for IFR. After the Cert. I flew with my instructor to get myself current. For a total of 6 hrs total, not all in one day, with my instructor I'm back in the saddle again. When I installed the insturments I installed all the required backup insturments.
Jim,

Got a picture of your panel you could post? As far as "required" backups, --required by whom --you? Required is a bit of a misnomer for an experimental with a glass panel.

FAR 91.205 Equip Requirements

Wow, this is a tough crowd.

FAR 91.205 prescribes equip required for a given mode of flight, eg VFR day, VFR nite, IFR. Elsewhere in the FARs is found the recurrent inspection and maint requirements for such equip, including nav, static, mode C, xpdr, ELT, etc., regardless of whether the airplane is type certificated or experimental. For IFR, the PIC determines what nav equip is required for a given IFR flight.

Part 91 required backups? Fly hard IFR with only a single EFIS for flight instruments, and no backups, and you may be dead right all the way to the ground, in the event of malfunction.

I would recommend that anyone really needing detailed answers on this subject matter consult the EAA website, elsewhere, when/where it pertains to experimental aircraft.

We all get on this site to exchange info re experimental aviation in a friendly, constructive manner, right?

Wasn't trying to start a debate, just trying to share with everyone.
My understanding of the Far's, I'm leagal to fly IFR in my plane. Here is the picture of my pannel.

MichRV10 said:
Wasn't trying to start a debate, just trying to share with everyone. My understanding of the Far's, I'm leagal to fly IFR in my plane. Here is the picture of my pannel.
Jim,

Nice panel, it is very similar to my proposed panel. Yes you definitely have a "legal" IFR platform. You have clearly marked the GPS as not for IFR but my comments regarding "required backups" was just to emphasize that this is mostly up to the PIC for experimentals-not the FARs. Some choose to have dual AHRS and dual electric system, others like you and me choose steam gages. Nothing is prescribed which is why "required" is a misnomer.

10Panel08.jpg

Day VFR Equip required

>>>There are no required instruments (per the FARs, prudence may dictate otherwise) in our experimental aircraft for day VFR flight<<<

If you look at the definition of Day VFR, and take the requirements of FAR parts 21, 43, 91 collectively, AND as applicable, AND also consider the wording of the operating limitations issued for experimental aircraft, you will find that you indeed need equip per FAR 91.205 for even day VFR. There are multiple reasons why you cannot get an airworthiness certificate for an experimental aircraft with a blank panel, to take an extreme example.

I did not see the article in Sport Aviation on this subject, but respectfully suggest that it is a non-sensical debate.

ICEMAN said:
Hi. This is my panel I am thinking of going for in my RV10? Why is the 296 not allowed for IF use ?
Couldn't see your picture but simply; because it's portable and no portable that I know of has RAIM, a requirement for TSO 129a or FD/E the requirement for TSO 146 IFR GPS. Just think about it, there is no way to guarantee and make repeatable the configuration (unit placement, antenna, annunciation etc) of a portable device.