rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
I'm about to fit the flaps and align the ailerons. Manual calls for six .250 wide bushings to press into W-1025. The W-1025s are .190 wide and the flap receiving blades are also spaced this far apart. Can't see making the bushings .060 wider than the blade spacing as this will splay the blades in an ugly way, maybe .010-.020. What dimension have others made these to?

BTW what is the final idea on aligning RV10 ailerons with flaps- neutral or up slightly? I want those last couple knots if it is there.

Flap bushings

I used the supplied bushings and the fit is great. You would not want the bushing to be even with W-1015, the flap receiving blades would then rub on the 1015's. I did not have any splaying....is that a word?

As far as alignment, I did it per plans and that puts them at 3% reflex. I am not flying yet so........take it for what it is worth.

Rene'
N423CF
Finish....getting very close, a couple of weeks to engine start and taxie.

With the flap L.E. completely up against the rear spar as per Van's plans the flaps will be relexed slightly up. This is the cruise position and you align the ailerons with them for neutral.

I used a C-clamp with a wood block to press the bushings into the bracket. Snug but easily done. It centers in the bracket. I had a 1/2 hole to allow for it to just pass into the block to center on the bracket.

Depending on when you got your wing kit, you may or may not be able to install the botttom skins with the bushings in the brackets, I had to wait till the skins were on. I heard that later models had a wider slot..

The hinge should not "splay" or open wider than the bearing other than a few thousands. I had to just open mine slightly (finger tip pressure) to allow them to slip into the bracket and line up with the bearing. Dumb question #1, you did assemble the hinge with the gap at the hinge hole and not the attach point on the flap right?:eek:

Dumb question #1, you did assemble the hinge with the gap at the hinge hole and not the attach point on the flap right?:eek:

Not sure what you are saying here. There is no bearing. On mine, you build some bushings from tubing to press into the mounting blades hanging from the wing, the bolts slide inside these bushings. I want to know if everyone is making these .250 wide or thinner. Do later kits have a bearing here instead?

Mine were bronze bushings...sorry for using "bearing", as they are in fact a bushing. They were pre-made ready to install...and If I recall they were hard to hunt down. I did not manufacture them for sure.

Depending on when you got your wing kit, you may or may not be able to install the botttom skins with the bushings in the brackets, I had to wait till the skins were on. I heard that later models had a wider slot..
Not sure if this helps any but my Kit shipped the first week of Feb of this year and the slot was NOT wider. And I pressed the bussings in early. Had to work the bottom skins over the bushings very carefully. It was a pain but do-able.

Mine were bronze bushings...sorry for using "bearing", as they are in fact a bushing. They were pre-made ready to install...and If I recall they were hard to hunt down. I did not manufacture them for sure.

Thank you, that's what I needed. These are pre-made brass in bag 1255. From the manuals, looked like maybe I had to make them out of 3/8 X 1/4 T6 tubing. I'm back on the roll.

Thanks for all the help guys on this and the alignment questions. I'm just gonna press them in at the full .250 width.:)